free website stats program Your Bike Model | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Your Bike Model

I chose the Cross Bones because I initially liked the retro springer look, then when I test rode one, I was hooked. The controls, handlebars, seat, everything were just right for me, and it is very comfortable for me to ride.

Rode metric scoots most of my 33+ m/c operating years, but always dreamed of HD. Almost bought Sportster while stationed in CA (1988), but still too rich for poor Airman paycheck. Vowed to get one when I retired & finally happened in Jun 2005. Started w/XL1200C because I really enjoyed riding my bro's 1991 XL883C (w/1200 kit). Extremely agile, comfy short-tripper & overall fun ride.

After seeing & sitting on FLHX...fell in love. From the batwing w/gages + stereo & overall look/feel - I knew it was my next bike. Took another 4-years, but glad I waited w/the 09 frame & upgrades. No looking back from here b/c I'll be buried w/this bike...:D

My Streetbob is a tribute to my dad. He had a JDH Olive Drab with maroon and black pin stripe, Plus I always wanted a Dyna after riding a friends FXR I tried to talk him out of, Tho I do miss my baggers

After 10 years of riding a windshield only bike like the King, I gravitated to the Glide for the fairing. At the time I could only swing a standard and 3+ years later and 23,000 miles have never looked back. It is the best bike I have ever owned. And as to comfort after a 600 mile day and wanting to ride more need I say anything more...

Back in the early 70s I bought a Honda 750 and wrecked it. I took it and built a chopper. I enjoyed working on it more than I like riding. I bought 2 more Honda's and a Suzuki and for years had no desire to ride, but said the next bike I buy would be the big Harley. After doing everything else I wanted to do over the years, it was time for the Hog. At age 66 I got me a 2007 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic and will ride it into the sunset. "Life is but a dream"....

Streetglide, it was like a pretty girl, the looks were the first thing that caught my eye. It felt comfortable to my then 62 year old frame and still does today. Everyone tells me to try an Ultra and I would not get back on the SG, maybe one day I will, but for now I am satisfied with the Streetglide.

I have owned FXR's, Springers and Road Kings and the FLHX just seems to fit me, although I will admit after about 100 miles I am changing cheeks in the seat. But it is a crazy thing, once this starts I'll stop and walk around a bit, then I could ride until the tank is dry.

Merry Christmas all...!

About 20 years ago, I decided to get back into motorcycling after about a 20 year hiatus. My first bike was a year old Kawasaki Vulcan 750. It was a good bike, but because of it's relatively light weight, tough on the bumpy roads. Added a Mustang seat, and that helped a bit but I knew that I needed to get a heavier machine. The Kaw had a 62" wheelbase and I liked that, it seemed to fit me. When I looked at the bigger machines, the Harley Davidson Electra Glide had a wheelbase within .5". OK, so why didn't I buy a Glide sooner? Same reason most don't......$$$$. Anyway, sold the Kaw, and caught a good deal on a used Ultra , and, as they say, the rest is history. The Glide is absolutely in it's element on the open road. You do need to be careful at really low speeds with the wheels turned, but that's easily remembered. All in all, the best motorcycle I have ever owned.

I went with a Heritage because that's the way a Harley should look, well for me anyway. I'm in the minority but I think motorcycle rims should have spokes. Everybody's tastes are different so Harley tries to make a model to suit all the different tastes. :s

I had seen a Discovery channel episode on the R&D that went into the V-Rod and was impressed. Soon after I started hitting the dealerships looking at them.
When I walked into one dealership, there was a Deuce sitting right by the door and it just called my name. I loved the lines of the bike, it looked like it was moving just sitting there. I continued my search for the V-rod, but found that every Saturday morning I was somehow in the neighborhood of that Deuce. My wife tried to 'convince' me that I could save money by buying the softail standard but I was not buying her argument. I knew that I'd end up spending large amounts of money to make it look like the Deuce. Finally, after spending about 2 hours waiting for me while I (EDIT) with the sales guy, she walked up to us and said "Just buy the darn thing!" Which I went right ahead and did. You don't have to tell me twice. lol

I've been happy with it ever since. I've flirted with moving to a SG but the Deuce has been paid for since 2008 and I still really like it. So, it will stay for a couple of more years at least.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Riding metric sportbikes for years...my gal was looking for an HD for one of her friends at work on Craig's' list. Saw the Sportster (she was looking at a Road King...) and thought the price was right and it had all the sportbike features I wanted dual disc brakes, 1000cc displacement, rubber mounted engine and rugged V-Twin design, (was also looking at a Ducati 996). But when I threw a leg over the Sportster and took it round the block, I knew it was the one...!

Many years earlier I had test ridden one, but did not like the hand numbing vibration, feeble brakes, handling or poor service and sales record. Fast forward to 2008, the 2004 XL1200 hit all the right points, sharp carburetion, plenty of torque and easy riding style, easily trumped my high strung, high horsepower, top heavy, razor sharp handling Suzuki "Blade" Katana I had enjoyed for over 15 years. Yeah, the lead rider of the Vallejo MMA Harley group way back in 1980 said to me riding my Yamaha 550cc sportbike..."--someday you'll own a Harley..." proved prophetic...just took awhile LOL! :D.

Back