free website stats program You riders with 6 speeds... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

You riders with 6 speeds...

5 speed for me...........
champoe.jpg

No tach so I don't know what I'm reving. 4th usually runs best in the 50-60 mph range, I don't hit 5th below 60. I was told that the tranny in my '93 is the highest geared trans Harley made. I haven't ridden alot of Harleys but it seems to be pretty tall geared, I would never ride fast enough to need a 6th gear.

Wow! Some of ya really use 6th below 75mph! I guess I like to run on the higher side of the rpm range I guess. My motor seems to get better mileage when I'm close to the 3k range. Guess it's just mapped that way.

Anyway, I've seen a few motors in the shop from guys lugging the motor when they shouldn't, which takes out the bottom end of what I understand. Not sure when or what the magic "lug" rpm is, but I know I'm not there. I do know that I've got plenty of power to do either one, but . . .choose to run on the higher side of things. :D
Ugly John

Wow! Some of ya really use 6th below 75mph! I guess I like to run on the higher side of the rpm range I guess. My motor seems to get better mileage when I'm close to the 3k range. Guess it's just mapped that way.

Anyway, I've seen a few motors in the shop from guys lugging the motor when they shouldn't, which takes out the bottom end of what I understand. Not sure when or what the magic "lug" rpm is, but I know I'm not there. I do know that I've got plenty of power to do either one, but . . .choose to run on the higher side of things. :D
Ugly John

I'm with UglyJohn on this one, I have an 88 cubic inch motor with a 5 speed and I like to keep those rev's up. There is nothing sweeter than a HD engine running at that magic RPM which makes ones head spin and think "(Edit)! I wish I had a Harley."

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
The owners manual for my 07 Fatty says to shift into 6th at 55mph. I think that is wrong. It doesn't feel right to me until well over 60.

I installed a SE 6-spd on my '03 UC. It has the .86 final OD gear. I have noticed about a 350-400 rpm drop. With OEM 5-spd, 70mph in 5th was around 3krpm. With the 6-spd in 6th, 70mph is about 2600-2650 (kinda hard to eyeball exactly).

TQ

So are the gear ratios in 1st thru 5th the same, but 6th would be an OD? I mean, i didn't get a bike for gas mileage; but I can get 46mpg keeping rpms around 2500 to 2700 (60- 65mph thereabouts) but when i get on the interstate and run 75mph (bout 3400 rpm) my mileage drops to around 34mpg.

The tranny wasn't geared different on the 93 they changed the pulley combinations that year. If I remember correctly the rear pulley is a 63 tooth. I had a 93 Heritage that looked like yours! Is yours 2 tone Brandywine and purple? That bike ran great and when I put the EV-27 cam and single fire ignition it woke right up.

I'm not sure what the color code is, it was sent to Harley for repainting when he had the larger tanks and nostalgic rear fender put together. It's red with orange and yellow pinstriping.
rockformation2

This one has been bored 10 over, andrews 27 cam and I believe single fire ignition as well. My buddy was going to try to dig up all the reciepts for me. I just took it in for a full service to the guy that did the work. He's going to see if he's still got records.

She has get up and gooooooooo for sure!

So are the gear ratios in 1st thru 5th the same, but 6th would be an OD? I mean, i didn't get a bike for gas mileage; but I can get 46mpg keeping rpms around 2500 to 2700 (60- 65mph thereabouts) but when i get on the interstate and run 75mph (bout 3400 rpm) my mileage drops to around 34mpg.

Yes, I think so. I believe the standard ratios are:

3.24 2.21 1.60 1.23 1.00

The 6-spd adds the .89 OD.

Here is a calculator:

Gear Ratio and Calculator - Harley Davidson Community

The Baker DD6's ratios are:

3.77 (optional 3.45), 2.56, 1.87, 1.44, 1.15, 1.00

but they supply or put on a 28 tooth compensator pulley. Here is their calculator:

BAKER Drivetrain | RPM Calculator

TQ

After complicated calculations and completely wet in sweat for the effort of converting kmh in mph....

:small3d011:

... I can say that I use the 6th not below 92-95 kmh, that is 57-59 mph!

Don't know how many rpm's are, but surely below 3,000.

Ah... don't forget that the indicated speed by the instrument is not the true speed of the bike, but something faster than real, usually between 1 to 5% faster (the difference between true and indicated speed is greater at high speeds).

I like riding my Street Bob just over the minimum RPM possible in a given gear, because it's there that the torque makes you feel that you're riding the Beast!

:naughty

... and opening the gas from there.... is what the Harley's are made for!

:breakdance

Ciao
Ugo

Hey Cuznjed, guess you guys set the "pace" pretty high, perhaps 85+ mph cause my '04 XL1200RS with standard rubber mounted stage I EVO has just shifted into fifth 'bout 70-75+ and certainly has the legs to do 80-85mph with no shake or vibe limiting a "spirited ride"! :57:

By no way was I meaning anything bad!! we were kicking it pretty hard though, and when we stopped for a break my frien even mentioned how it would be nice to have that 6th gear::D

Back