free website stats program You riders in the COLD | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

You riders in the COLD

Re: What Grits Are

Grits are Corn Kernels soaked in a mixture of Water, Lye and Salt .. this cures and expands them into what is known as Hominy .. Hominy itself is not bad eating for breakfast .. Grits are Ground Hominy .. That simple .. Raised in the swamps of Florida used to make our own ... Cheese Grits and Fried Catfish are my favorite way ...

Grits are good, with enough salt, pepper, and butter mixed in to give 'em a little flavor.
My favorite is menudo - Mexican tripe soup -tripe, hominy, onion, hot pepper, a little sage in a spicy soup. One bowl of that, you can ride ALL day. It is touted as a hangover cure. I can't vouch for that; I haven't had a hangover in 25 years, but I ride the 40 miles to Yuba City most Sundays to get a big bowl of it. It's 20 degrees (above zero) here this morning, darn cold for 2300 feet in the Sierras, so I wussed out for the breakfast ride - will take the car - but it will warm up enough to get in a ride this afternoon. I need a shirt thas says "Will ride for food" :s:s:s

Last edited:

I ate my first 'grit' at the "froggy dog" restaraunt, cape hateras NC (87/88?), and there's been no lookin back. Problem is you can't find a good 'grit' outside of the southern states, cept those instant grits!!! Anyone want to send some over to Switzerland? I'll swap ya for a cheese fondue.........seriously!
btw, you should these vespa drivers over here. cold? oh ya. Ice, slush? you bet. They never stop. Me?.....I'll grow the beard and wait for spring

I ate my first 'grit' at the "froggy dog" restaraunt, cape hateras NC (87/88?), and there's been no lookin back. Problem is you can't find a good 'grit' outside of the southern states, cept those instant grits!!! Anyone want to send some over to Switzerland? I'll swap ya for a cheese fondue.........seriously!
btw, you should these vespa drivers over here. cold? oh ya. Ice, slush? you bet. They never stop. Me?.....I'll grow the beard and wait for spring

There is a world wide APPRECIATION for grits....

The last time I had cheese fondue was on a visit to Zermatt .. sat outside and looked at the Matterhorn until it became dark.(fondue was good but the smell is another story) We usually try the local fare when visiting other countries. Did not take in the haggis in Scotland but always enjoyed the shepard's pie in the UK. My favorite is the bosna in Salzburg Austria... can taste it for a whole day after eating.... but fantastic.

There is a world wide APPRECIATION for grits....

The last time I had cheese fondue was on a visit to Zermatt .. sat outside and looked at the Matterhorn until it became dark.(fondue was good but the smell is another story) We usually try the local fare when visiting other countries. Did not take in the haggis in Scotland but always enjoyed the shepard's pie in the UK. My favorite is the bosna in Salzburg Austria... can taste it for a whole day after eating.... but fantastic.

I was at Zermatt last weekend, I can still smell the cheese (or is that from the weekend before, it does linger a bit). I have enough posts now I can put some photos up, I'll try to include a 'background' shot through the window (bikes in the family room) and you'll see the highway you took from the Valais (Zermatt) on your way to Austria. Send me a note if you're passin through again...always an extra bed, steak and PLENTY of cold ones.........

I was at Zermatt last weekend, I can still smell the cheese (or is that from the weekend before, it does linger a bit). I have enough posts now I can put some photos up, I'll try to include a 'background' shot through the window (bikes in the family room) and you'll see the highway you took from the Valais (Zermatt) on your way to Austria. Send me a note if you're passin through again...always an extra bed, steak and PLENTY of cold ones.........

Thanks... if we do I will let you know. We used to do a lot of hiking and that's why we would go to Zermatt and the surrounding area. If not there the next favorite place is Chamonix, we would fly into Geneva and an hour later looking at Mont Blanc. You are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful part of the world.

I'm with ya! I would never choose most of this stuff if I have a choice.:newsmile076:

I'll skip the head part but the roasted pig is about as good as it gets.:yes

Hey, I am good with that...Hank Williams said it best..."-put the pig in the ground and the beer on ice, all my rowdy friends are comin' over tonight...!":newsmile108:

Since this has become a food thread... here's one to think about. I love hotdogs and it's an easy meal when playing golf taking the turn. There was a tv show about how things are made and if you saw how .. it would turn you off of hotdogs for life. Did you know the FDA allows up to 10% hair in a hotdog?:newsmile049:
GROSS
Ain't nothing wrong with a little hair of the dog.:D

I started posting here when I bought my bike. I asked a few questions about pipes, bought the pipes, and I'm pretty sure I didn't post again until December. :D You are all great people, I really appreciate all the help I've received, but I'd really rather be riding. :p

I give it another month and it will be perfect for the chaps and jackets.

I'm willing to bet this site slows down during the summer time.
It probably be at least 2 months for me because the snow is not
going away that soon.

Is this cheese the same as linberger? My dad used to eat that and chase us out of the house with the smell.:newsmile042:

Back