free website stats program You carry tools, extra parts, etc...on your bike? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

You carry tools, extra parts, etc...on your bike?

No.... Its to help take the edge off if i am upset about being broken down, haha. just kidding. Anyway, a friend of mine actually used a lighter to help stop windsheild damage he sustained during a ride. He heated around the hole and it stopped it from spreading during the 100 mile ride home. No HD dealers around and it was late night. I was very suprised it worked. The alternative for that particular damage was to just take the windsheild off. I have kept a lighter in the bags ever since.

I have a softail heritage but I'm going to ask the question here because it applies more to touring bikes. Do you normally keep any type of small tool kit, parts, etc... in your bike? If so what items do you carry? Anything different on long trips? Thanks!!!
Some times a can of fixaflat is not enough. I carry a plug kit and cig lighter air compressor. Which I had the misfortune to have to use this last weekend. 116 miles from home. I beleive any other tools are moot. Modern HDs, if maintained and serviced, will not need any tools on the road. Unless it is something catastrophic. The only tool you need then is a cell phone.:D

G'day, is there a standard tool kit that can be purchased for hogs ?? any help in regards to this would be good,

I have a softail heritage but I'm going to ask the question here because it applies more to touring bikes. Do you normally keep any type of small tool kit, parts, etc... in your bike? If so what items do you carry? Anything different on long trips? Thanks!!!

The H-D kit that comes with Ultras has a spare slot that's the perfect size to slip a suspension pump in. In addition I carry a compact but roomy tool roll with everything I use for a full service in addition to zip ties, wire for wrapping loose stuff, a couple of spark plugs, spare shifter bolt, spare bulbs, etc. In addition I've got a mini 12v air pump that I cannibalized to downsize and a plug kit. Whole works only takes about a couple of inches in the bottom of the saddlebag where it's always packed.

Reverse-Murphy... if you've got it you won't need it. Others have used it numerous times though.

TL

OH! Forgot about another item I started carrying last year that everybody ought to consider.

A fresh battery for the key fob!

Ask me why I carry one now! :D
Rich..........I'll bite, Don't tell me your fob went dead, I always wondered what would happen if the battery went dead on this thing while I was riding it. What happened?

NOW, THAT'S FUNNY.................heh, heh, heh.......I don't care who ya are!!!
I'm still wondering what happens if your "riding" and your fob goes dead, does it cut off your ignition? On the 07 and later there's no set button on the fob, it's just a vacinity transmitter and if someone tries to take your bike without the fob, it won't start, right?

Back