free website stats program You carry tools, extra parts, etc...on your bike? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

You carry tools, extra parts, etc...on your bike?

Gonna do a good wash on the bike this week, so when I empty the right side bag, I'll come back and tell you what I had in it!

From memory, it sounds like smitty's bag. tools, rain gear, pledge. cloths....

I know I was carrying a flexible screwdriver in there for a while, because I re-jetted and had to play with idle a lot (FINALLY got it right). And an "ove-glove" (one of those gloves that are for the kitchen, letting you grab 500 degree pans!)... i use it to work on something when the bike is HOT... I don't have to wait for it to cool before starting to FIX IT!

lots of sockets and allen wrenches... oh, and a small rubber mallet (fixes EVERYTHING!!!)

I also bought a couple of LED flashers... they work as "flares" if I break down at night, but more importantly, I hang them on the back rest if I get caught out in the rain (especially at night)..... they really get cagers' attention when they come flying up on me at 70 MPH and are hydroplaning!!!

I know I also have 2 spark plugs, Oil, and a SQUISHED quarter roll of paper towels! OH, and super-glue, zip ties, bungee cords, and some velcro cable ties (these work good for closing off pant legs when it gets COLD!!!).

*funny that smitty mentione d the spare sensor, since I JUST replaced mine within the last few weeks!!!*

Its always good to carry a few things to help you out on the side of the road, or in most cases, help somebody else out who is stuck on the side of the road.

The beauty of the modern Harley Davidson is the build quality and reliability now compared to what it was a few decades back.... The down side is that it is still a machine and anything mechanical, no matter how well made, can break down.

The best insurance against breaking down on the road is to properly maintain your motorcycle and always give it a good once over before heading out on your next adventure.

Actually check your tire pressures, look at the entire circumference of the tire for signs of damage or unusual wear, check the drive belt for damage and proper tension, check cables for adjustment, wires for chafing etc. Have a look at the under-side for signs of any fluid leaks or damage.

Most problems can be avoided with a little careful attention to the details and by being pro-active. For the rest, there is mastercard....:D

:20: besides the tool kit,and the zip ties,and the sparkplugs,there is one thing i carry that seems to get used alot. i carry a coiled up 5/16 ID clear hose,about four feet long,there is always someone in our group,that pushes,the limit of there tank,or a brother on the side,sucking tank air:bigsmiley22:

Complete but small tool kit...electrical tape...ties and a few feet of small wire along with tire pressure guage and maps for the direction I am headed toward.

Having bought older bikes they came with no tool kit but i do have many years of riding and breaking down at the side of the road
so i compiled my own small tool kit it includes some fuses, wire, cable ties spark plugs, selection of spanners,torx keys, allen keys, pliers, plug spanner, selection of screwdrivers, nut bolts washers (never the ones i need) and in my wallet i have an automobile association card with roadside assistance and full relay service (had a puncture in 81 and 82 and used the AA for that)

If we are on longer tours tend to carry a spare set of control cables and some oil

Brian

I carry these on my SG:

-HD standard tool kit
-Fix/flat
-Leatherman
-Black tape
-Various zip ties
-Flashlight
-6-pack :newsmile016:

Back