Yet another thread about...

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by kerrycorcoran, Jul 15, 2011.

1. kerrycorcoran

kerrycorcoran Member

performing the 1000 mile service. I am looking forward to tomorrow and doing this. I careful logged 990 miles tonight to ensure I can ride the bike enough to running condition right around 1000 miles.

Have all my fluids and gaskets and will start/finish tomorrow morning.

Sorry, can't help it, I enjoy wrenching on them as much as riding them.

Probably won't sleep too well to night in anticipation. :woohoo:

2. bcortani

bcortani Active Member

I am no wrencher, but I had a blast doing my 5k service and saving about 350.00 by doing so. Only thing I haven't done yet is lube the cables...I know it is supposed to be easy to remove, lube and readjust them, but I had a bad incident with my mt bike years ago and have always feared the cable adjusting stuff since...lol

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I can relate. When things go as planned, it can be rewarding.:)

Not to be nosy but I gotta ask.... Your performing the 1K service on a 2007 bike. Are you saying that you have never changed the oil in 4 years?

4. JBC2565

JBC2565 Junior Member

Hoople, he went into dealer for a t-shirt and came out with a 2011 Street Glide. Just hasn't updated profile. Hoping I remember correctly.

Oh yeah, Hoople. You mean you have to change the oil in these things???

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I figured something was up.
    I have a neighbor that lives a few houses away from me that has a Bagger sitting in his garage. I bet he puts on maybe 200 miles a year. I guess whatever floats you boat. :D

6. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Had a friend back in HS who ran his 1969 Nova for three years before finding out he needed to service the car every now & then. The oil looked like a chocolate shake - he learned quickly how important an oil change can be for engine. Plus this guy was a farmer so should've known better. Guess this is how we learn...;)

7. mat 60

mat 60 Senior Member

I have a 99 chevy pu with 31 thousand miles ...Change oil every year....:)

8. Dswartz

Dswartz Active Member

That is so sad. I never understood why somebody would spend thousands of dollars on a motorcycle just so they can sit and look at it. Such a waste in my opinion.

9. kerrycorcoran

kerrycorcoran Member

You guys catch all the details. :D

I have updated my information to reflect which bike I am referring to; will be performing the 1K service on my SG.

I agree with the comments above, never understood why a person wouldn't take their toys out of the garage to ride or drive - know a few guys that have sweet cars and they sit for the most part.

Just picked the SG up and within basically two days I practically had my 1K. Usually if I take the bike out I am going to return 2500 miles (or more) later. These things are meant to ride.

10. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Hey, people spend tens of thousands of $$$ on artwork that hangs on the wall just to look at. I guess a beautiful Harley could be seen as falling in the same category. Like Hoople said - whatever floats your boat!