free website stats program yet another heel/toe shifter question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

yet another heel/toe shifter question

I have the same one STEVE07 has. I always leave it in the folded back 45* position. Still works great that way and is for the most part out of the way. I've thought of tack welding it that was because I see no reason to have any other way. It just simple works great.

Am I missing something? Mine you can reposition . Just by removing the bolt and removing the shift arm then repositioning on the peg (arm) whats ever its called.

You can reposition the stock shifter up or down on a rotational basis by doing what you describe. This gives you more room UNDER the actual shifter peg and could potentially allow you to move your foot around more depending on the thickness/height of your boots. The downside is that you have to lift your toe and heel higher to perform the shifts. An extended shift lever keeps the pegs at the same approximate height for shifting but moves them forward and aft for more floorboard room. Does any of that make sense?

I have a 9 1/2 size boot and ride an 05 Road Glide. I bought an extended rear shifter from Walters. I also turned the front shifter 180* and reversed the peg. I installed 3/4" extenders on the footboards. I now have the whole footboard to use and it only took a few shifts to get used to the new positions.

HDDon, do you have pictures of your setup for the "under size 11 crowd"?

Here is what I have and it works great.

Harley-Davidson USA | Accessories And Apparel | Genuine Motor Accessories

33876_07_M_233cd.jpg

Steve, your setup looks mighty fine...!

HDDon, do you have pictures of your setup for the "under size 11 crowd"?

Steve, your setup looks mighty fine...!

I'll try to get pics this weekend. The set is simple, take the front shifter arm off and turn it around, take the peg out of the shifter and screw it back in so that it points outward. Walters extended shift arm on the rear. Footboards moved outward 3/4" with extenders purchased on ebay for $43. Lots of room as the front peg sticks out just to the inside of the footboard.

Removed my heel shifter. Never used them, don't like em. Put it in a ziplock with an allen tool in my side bag. Can be used to replace my toe shifter if it is damaged or falls off.

I have size 11 and wear boots when riding. Never had any problem. Floorboard extensions are probably the easiest way to fix your issue.

I took mine off too,(doubt it will void my warranty) and never looked back. Boot heel kept wanting to nudge in underneath it, then go to move your foot and it wanted to keep your foot there. Don't and didn't care for it.

Just remove the rear shifter... then you'll have plenty of room. I could never get used to the darn thing anyways.

Just remove the rear shifter... then you'll have plenty of room. I could never get used to the darn thing anyways.

Always been utterly amazing to me how there seem to be two distinct schools on this subject - those who adjusted to the heel shifter after a day or two, and those who never adjusted and actually take it off. Doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground either. I guess it's just one more area that the aftermarket folks love taking our money for the dozens of ways to deal with a problem.

Back