free website stats program Yes, You Can Safely Ride in the Rain! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Yes, You Can Safely Ride in the Rain!

I ride rain or shine and have a good rain suit, googles that work well to keep the rain out of my eyes. Then it's just using common sense and not being in a hurry for anything.

Common sense is not so common, is a LEARNED experience, & not to be confused with instinct. :s

Ride safe and enjoy the experience with HDT... :newsmile01:

Last edited:
My current bike is a 2007 FatBoy.... I put on the saddle bags which I do not particularly like the looks. Saying that my saddle bags besides tool kit and maps also store my rain gear. Any time I leave my house I have the much needed but hated rain suit which I have suited up more than I ever thought I would. Saddle bags are more like a truck or glove compartment in our cages.. some things I would not leave home without.

I like to enjoy riding my bike and riding in the cold and in the rain are no fun. I ride a couple of days a week and on the weekends, but I always check the radar before I go. If I see a open window on the radar and know I can get a hour or two in, I will take it, but if I know it is a wash out I just wait it out..I like dry roads and sunshine, I am only a rain rider when I have to be..

Rain or not, always stay well behind the cager in front of you. Here in Michigan we have pot holes. I mean POT HOLES. If you tailgate, you won't see the hole coming. Always, always stay behind the vehicle in front of you so you can see what it ran over before you do. I think everyone should ride a Bike before they drive. Then would then know what to look for and how cautious you should be. Never take anything for granite.

I did keep my distance for many reasons. Luckily they had just re-paved the road I was driving on. Pretty smooth sailing and no pot holes. Next spring might be a different story depending on the winter we have.

Yes, well maybe you CAN ride safely in the rain;but why would you want to?

Years ago when i was a shift worker i rode my XL500 to work rain or shine.A round trip of 80 klms(50 miles),made at all hours of the day.Damn,i used to hate it.Wet weather gear,wet clothes,fogged vision,slippery roads,cold and miserable etc etc.

I've always owned a couple of bikes and by using my trail bike for all my commuting,my road bikes always stayed clean,clocked up less miles, and tyres and chains lasted forever.Now ,i dont ride anything in the rain.Thats what cars are for.Why be uncomfortable and miserable when you dont need to be?

If that makes me less of a Motorcyclist in some eyes;i couldn't care less.
At least i'm dry.

I haven't been here long, but from what I've seen, there's not a biker among us who would say such a thing about your personal choice.

(And the fact I happen to agree has nothing to do with this response!)

You are correct, this is an open forum and I doubt there is a biker here that would prefer to ride in the wet, this was just a post saying that when the inevitable happens, you will ride in the rain at one time or another and work your way through it with little fuss if some tried and true tips are followed. Even bikers, cagers and aircraft pilots have to learn to deal with night & rain sorties at one time or another :skipping

Back in Feb 2004 I led a group to a rally in Tasmania (our summer here in Oz). Most were fairly seasoned bikers but I was the most experienced riding in all weathers. We left the Red centre of this great land in 120 to 130 degree heat and were riding in vests and sunscreen. Wide open roads and at the time no speed limit on the open road. First day was around 900Klms. Second day was similar temp and we had another 600Klms to ride. Third day was the first of cold and wet weather, in the middle of summer!! Seems like my lady and I were the only ones to pack wet weather gear. Pulled into the nearest bike shop to allow all to gear up. Rode the Great Ocean road in perfect weather (if any of you get to Oz, the Great Ocean road is one of the best bike roads in the world). Left the mainland in great weather onto the Ferry to take us to the small island. Raining cats and dogs and we still had 120Klms to ride to our accomodation for the rally. With me leading setting the pace through mountain roads and switchbacks, contending with logging trucks and tourists, by the time we got to our accomodation everyone was totally exhausted. The best thing was that the grins on these guys and gals faces didn't go away until we were back home. These same bikers will now ride in any weather and are always prepared. After almost 8000Klms in 16 days some of the novice riders had learnt heaps. Just goes to show that the more you ride in different conditions the more you enjoy your riding. Sorry about the length of the post.

P.S. Being a dry weather rider is pure choice and I for one couldn't give a rat's, you're still enjoying the greatest motorcycle ever produced.

Sounds like a great ride, Chips.
Here in the UK we don't have the vast distances you have in OZ but we get more than our fair share of rain.
Providing you are equipped properly and ride with the care the road conditions and the reduced visibility require, the real drag is getting the bike wet and filthy.

Back in Feb 2004 I led a group to a rally in Tasmania (our summer here in Oz). ...

Just goes to show that the more you ride in different conditions the more you enjoy your riding. Sorry about the length of the post.

P.S. Being a dry weather rider is pure choice and I for one couldn't give a rat's, you're still enjoying the greatest motorcycle ever produced.

Your ride in Oz is a great read and sounds like something I hope to do someday...funny...Tamania name reminds me of something out of a WB cartoon, the-the thats all folks!!! people. This is kinda my wakeup call that there is still so many things to see and do in the Southern half of the world as well...Thanks! :)

Back