free website stats program Yes, You Can Safely Ride in the Rain! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Yes, You Can Safely Ride in the Rain!

Great words of wisdom. I agree 100%. I always slow it down a little and give myself and others more room while riding in the rain.

I have a rain Suite Question. I have Frogg Toggs, My question is should I put the hood on my head before I put my helment on, or not wear the hood.

In the first part of this thread, it was mentioned that you can stop under a bridge to put on a rain suit, this can be good and bad. I have done it myself many times, but now with a different outlook.
Just recently, not from from from where I live, a biker had stopped under a bridge during a storm and was waiting the storm out. Two cagers lost control of their 65MPH rain driving cars and one spun under the bridge, hitting the bike and biker breaking both his legs. Always be alert when stopped next to the roadway, (edited) happens real quick.

Ride safe, rain or shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a hood on my rain suit but i would think if you are going to wear the hood it would be better to put it on before you put you helmet on. About stopping under a brige - that is something I don't do because of reasons like PetieJ posted. I have always worried about that so I get off on the exit and get under a shed at a gas station or somewhere close.

Frog Togs are fantastic!! They roll up very small (x-large jacket w/hood and bibs pants easily fits into a full-face), keep you dry even in the worst gully washers and breath like gortex - at 1/3 the cost. I put the hood on before the helmet to keep rain from going down the middle of the back. When traveling we put the full-faces and walmart plastic bags (for the boots) in the trunk for the rainy days.

Pledge on the windshield and helmet visor helps pull the water off. What good are new tires if you can't see the road?

Also, try to ride in the tire tracks of the cage in front - helps reduce hydroplaning.

Thanks for the kind words ya'll. Unfortunately, if you're a serious rider (meaning you ride more than just on the weekends to the local waterin' hole) you will get caught n the rain. It's just a fact.

Good read DynaMike, been riding for years and about 5 of them as a year-'round rider...and yes, bring tried and true rain gear, especially on long rides, as you will always have sudden rain and riding can be pretty miserable if all your riding gear (leather or street clothing underneath) get soaked.

For full downpours, a yellow hooded slicker (it goes under helmet and keeps the back of your neck dry) w/ bib pants (if they have the elastic that goes over your boot and strap that goes into heel cavity to prevent trouser legs from "riding up" is the ticket. They usually have protected rain vents to allow airflow and no puddling! Rain totes for the feet are also good and "three fingered glove covers" are best (to take advantage of two finger squeeze brake tests periodically to dry them without locking them up in the wet), also a good time to practice smooth countersteering manuevers.

BTW, Make sure you prefit everything and practice putting the gear on several times, so you can get the sequence right (you will have only one shot in a downpour)...nothing worse then leaving gaps at the cuffs or waistband and ending up sitting in a pool of water! :small3d008:

Picked up my bike from being serviced yesterday and drove it home in the rain. I took it easy, gave myself lots of room and made it home just fine. I did find a out a couple of things though.
1) My boots that I thought would keep my feet dry have a gap between the leather and the sole.
2) A full face helmet would have been preferable.
3) All the cagers thought I was crazy (I probably was) but didn't intrude into my space

Interesting ride overall.

Rain or not, always stay well behind the cager in front of you. Here in Michigan we have pot holes. I mean POT HOLES. If you tailgate, you won't see the hole coming. Always, always stay behind the vehicle in front of you so you can see what it ran over before you do. I think everyone should ride a Bike before they drive. Then would then know what to look for and how cautious you should be. Never take anything for granite.

Do to poor planning on my part, I had to ride from Jackson, Miss to Memphis, Tn. in a driving rain. After about 30 miles I pulled over and stored the rain gear, I couldn't have gotten any wetter anyway. The drive up I55 was bad but the worse part was 18 wheelers doing 75 and turning the standing water in the ruts to fire hose pressures that kept buffeting me to the shoulder. The one thing I did right was bring a second helmet that had a full face shield. My kevlar beanie was worthless. It was a learning experience and made me a faithful viewer of the NOAA websites for weather patterns. Pre-plan your trips and be ready for mother nature throwing a temper tantrum on occasion. Oh yeah, the poor planning on my part? I had to be in court as a witness the next morning.

Back