free website stats program Yes another decel pop question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Yes another decel pop question

Some of the popping can be the unburned gasses in the exhaust, you notice it more now than if you had stock (way muffled down) exhaust :s

I put a k&n High Flow filter on the bike with an open cover

OK, so you have opened up the restrictions allowing the BEAST to breath freer. But I still think your jets are a bit large. I would dial back both the high and low jets a size or two and then tweak up as required.

One of the ways to determine if your low jet is right is the affect of the idle-air needle. If the jet is too large, you will not get any affect on rpm when you screw the needle all the way in. The opposite if the jet is too small.

With the right low speed jet, you should be able to back the idle-air needle about 2 1/2 turns as the starting point. With the engine warmed up and the rpms running around 1,200-1,500, you will be able to fine tune the needle to get the highest rpm with slight (about 1/2 turn) adjustments. Once you get the peak, back the needle out about 1/4 turn and leave it there.

TQ

OKay, I am really stumped. I checkd again for exhaust and intake leaks.Sprayed wd-40 on the intake gaskets and the rpms didn't budge. Checked the exhaust,plugged the endd of the exhaust pipe for a second to see if I got any air or squealing from the eexhaust ports and nothing. I havew the mixture screw at 3 turns out and the plug has a an off white to light brown tint to it. The throttle response seems good, still have that pop on decel.Any thoughts? Is it possible that the lack of back pressure could cause this. I havr the big shot staggere on the bike, k&n filter

OKay, I am really stumped. I checkd again for exhaust and intake leaks.Sprayed wd-40 on the intake gaskets and the rpms didn't budge. Checked the exhaust,plugged the endd of the exhaust pipe for a second to see if I got any air or squealing from the eexhaust ports and nothing. I havew the mixture screw at 3 turns out and the plug has a an off white to light brown tint to it. The throttle response seems good, still have that pop on decel.Any thoughts? Is it possible that the lack of back pressure could cause this. I havr the big shot staggere on the bike, k&n filter
If you tried the re-jetting like suggested,,,,,,,

I would think the exhaust is the culprit... On a carbed bike especially...

On the FI new bikes, HD shuts off gas flow on the compression side of slowing down(off throttle)... When we leave off the throttle the gas doesn't go into the motor so no pop out the exhaust..

Carbed present a problem...

signed....BUBBIE

So here's what I tried last night. I was able to stall the back by turning the mixture screw but not until the screw was all the way in and seated.Ran it with a fresh set of plugs to check the low side jet.Drove the bike at about 1/4 throttle for 1 to 1 1/2 miles and pulled th clutch & killed the motor. The mixture screw was at 2 1/2 turns and barely registered any color on the plug. chnged the plug again and went to 3 turns out. I now have an off white to light brown color on the plug. But still have the pop. Again my jets are at 48/190. Any possibility it is a back pressure issue because of the high flow filter and less restrictive V&H BigShot Staggered?Thanks Again to everyone for all tthe help

Back