free website stats program Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass and Cody WY | Harley Davidson Forums

Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass and Cody WY

Clint

Just got back from a trip. Through Sandy Or around Mt Hood to Hood River. Crossed into Washington and rode along the river to Hwy 12. We followed Hwy 12 (HOT HOT HOT!) up into Idaho and stayed the night at Lewis and Clark campground.
lewisandclarkcamp

lewisandclarkcamp1

Next day we rode into Montana on Hwy 12 then south on 93 through Hamilton and Darby.
Darbymarshaloffice

Cut across Montana on Hwy 43to Dillon then south on hwy 15 into Idaho then cut back north on hwy 20 into West Yellowstone. Tent camped just out of town.

The next day we toured Yellowstone park and made the loops through the majority of the park.
harleyandbuffalo

buffalo1

hotspring

continentaldivide

We stayed the night in a little cabin in West Yellowstone.

cabininwestyellowstone

We headed out through Yellowstone through the northern section going through Mammoth Hot Springs. More on this place later.
mammothhotsprings

Following the road to the northeast exit, we saw these critters:
GRIZ!
griz

What a rack!
bullelk1

We took the road towards the exit and found some Bison.
buffalo2

buffalo3

From there we exited the park and headed up towards the Beartooth pass. We climbed up to the top and enjoyed the breathtaking sceanery!
ontopofbeartooth

avaonbeartooth

We made our way down to Red Lodge and WOW, all the bikes! Sorry no pics but the town was packed with Harleys.

Headed into Cody Wy and found a camp site. Spent the night in the tent.
codycamp

codycamp1

codycamp2

We also visited the Old Trail Town in Cody, COOL place!
These buildings were brought in from all over and reconstructed here. These are the original buildings.
oldtrailtown

antlerpile

This saloon was frequented by Butch Cassidy and The Sun Dance Kid!
saloon

avainsaloon

clintinsaloon

Liver eatin' Johnson's Grave. (he was reburied here.)
johnsongrave

When we left Cody we passed back through the northern part of Yellowstone Park. This old boy was feeding near the road.
bullelk2

This time when we passed through Mammoth Hot Springs we found they had other guests as well!
elkintown

elkintown1

elkintown2

Headed out but ran into some construction, just a short 15 min wait.
inconstructionline

This is on one of the side roads in Yellowstone.
avaandbikeinyellowstone

clintandbikeinyellowstone

We left the park and headed towards Boise. I found that my tire had worn much faster then i had anticipated and was way too thin to run. I pulled into Boise after spending the night in Mt Home Idaho.
They fixed me up with a tire and we watched a HUGE lighting storm pass over. They lost electricity twice while we were there.
This dealership was amazingly friendly and helpful!

We left there but the weather was still threatening. We made it into Ontario Or and headed out on Hwy 26 towards Prineville. It was raining the entire trip through to Prineville where we decided to spend the night since we were cold and tired.

The next morning we left with just a light cloud cover but hit rain again up on Mt Hood. It dried up between Welches and Sandy. The rest of the ride home was very nice and a fitting end to a great trip!

Last edited:
Here are the missing pics of the cabin in West yellowstone.
cabininwestyellostone

And the Big Bull near Mammoth Hot Springs
bullelk2

Last edited:
Looks like another great trip, too bad about the rain but it can't always be sunshine/blue skys. How many days was this trip? Any more planed for the fall?

The trip was 6 1/2 days.

We were going to tour Hells Canyon on the way back but we were tired and short on funds after the tire in Boise. We'll probably do a trip there before the season ends.

It was our first long trip, we had done a few weekend runs but almost 7 days in the saddle was a blast! I forgot to write down the mileage but I should be able to get a pretty good estimate of the total mileage after some calculating.

Great pics Clint and glad you had a good ride. I've done Cody, WY and the Beartooth for the past 2 years and can't wait to go back. Red Lodge and the Chief Joseph Scenice Highway are fun to ride as well.

There is a lot of patch work being done from the east exit of Yellowstone Park through Cooke City and all the way to the top of Beartooth Pass. Not too much delay time but a lot of gravel sections.

Clint, thats' funny..."Not too much delay time but a lot of gravel sections"...I don't think you were riding a dirt tracker like an XR...must have been throttle steering the whole time to make good time like Hobbit or SledDog! LOL!!! :D

I talked to a guy in the park about Beartooth and almost didn't make the run, I'm glad we did it!

By delays, I meant traffic stops by work crews. The gravel slowed me down a little...........:D

We did have to 'holeup' at a rest area before heading down the other side. This storm caught up with us.There were 2 other groups of riders taking refuge under the restroom roof.
beartoothstorm

Back