free website stats program Xr1200x abs | Harley Davidson Forums

Xr1200x abs

Katori

Hi All,
I went to EICMA last week and visited the HD stand, I was totally overwhelmed by the new XR1200X (Denim Black)
I never contemplated buying a HD before but this model not only fits like a glove, it's amazing looking and oozes power and beauty.

Oh, EICMA is the biggest European Motocycle trade show in Europe.

I know that there are many pro's and con's on the subject of ABS and I must say I learned the advantage of ABS the hard way. Had a serious incident due to bad handling the bike and unfortunate surface conditions. I would have been in less of a mess if ABS was installed.

Hence my question; Is it technically possible to install Brembo ABS on a XR1200? I realize it would be costly...
The day I came back from the trade show I visited the nearest HD dealer and I got told it wasn't possible. Maybe you guy's have some advice on how to achieve this.
If this is really a NoGo than I would need to look for another bike (with a bleeding heart)

Thoughts??

Bummer :-(
Thanks for the reply Hobbit!
Your explanation is very complete, much appreciated.

I'll stare at my background picture some more (guess what it is) and visit the HD dealer regularly.
Who knows, my bad experience might fade... the XR is just such a great machine...

The dual disc braking system is more than adequete for two finger squeeze. I suppose with the right kind of brake pad compound "stoppies" would be possible! :D

The braking is not the XR1200' weak link...more likely more power could be found in the engine, and certainly there is room to improve in the handling to be had with the hardware outfitted as well :34: Just Time and Money to be sure :small3d036:

I'm sure the braking power is more then adequate; it's just that ABS provides the non-blocking wheel thus no stoppies please. Saw posts against ABS but experience tells me that it can be a life saver. That is why I was asking the question.
Thanks again for your updates

It is a pity :-(
I will be forced to look for an alternative and keep my fingers crossed that maybe....just maybe...the HD design department finds a way to integrate ABS in the sportster models in the (very) near future. For now I will wait until Jan uary, the country I live in will then have it's annual motorcycle and car trade show. As said, I never thought of buying an HD before and now, with the XR1200X in mind it becomes painfully clear that there is no other decent alternative.
I think I'll just go for a scooter :-(
Thank you guy's for your help! Have Fun & Ride Safe

Katori, ABS Braking while a nice feature is NOT a key feature that sells an HD...test ride her and you will understand. While the show is great for the latest techno/future designs, the current "real world" bikes you will find have that "bare knuckles" look and feel that most of us find so satisfying. Trust me, I would love to see ABS on a Sporty, but my "pedestrian" plain vanilla carbed Sporty pushes all my buttons every time I step out in the garage or when I throw a leg over the saddle.

Just hoping legistlation and safety-crats do not regulate our two wheeled sports out of existance before our kids and grandkids have a chance to enjoy them as well. Just the other day, I placed my 2 year old grand daughter on the saddle of my bike...the look of delight was so gratifying to see. She wanted to climb on the peg and helped up to it. Even she had trouble figuring out which position, rider or pillion she liked more!

I bet ABS will be on all models in a year or two.

Only way that would happen is if HD cut the entire product line in half. There are just way too many other current problems to deal with right now to be dumping an added $1000 in the MSRP tag. From a manufactures view, to have ABS on all models in 2 years and still have air cooled models while keeping the bikes affordable is near impossible in my opinion.

I test drove one the XR1200's after I bought my FatBob. I really liked the XR1200 and it does have some very good brakes (best of any HD I've ridden). The front brake is so strong, I can understand the desire of having ABS on it. In a panic stop situation, if you grab a hard handfull of XR1200 front brakes you most likely will lock up the front tire. If it is a poor traction situation, ABS might keep you from going down. Like said previously though, it is pretty cost prohibitive on the Sporty line.

Hi All,
I went to EICMA last week and visited the HD stand, I was totally overwhelmed by the new XR1200X (Denim Black)
I never contemplated buying a HD before but this model not only fits like a glove, it's amazing looking and oozes power and beauty.

Oh, EICMA is the biggest European Motocycle trade show in Europe.

I know that there are many pro's and con's on the subject of ABS and I must say I learned the advantage of ABS the hard way. Had a serious incident due to bad handling the bike and unfortunate surface conditions. I would have been in less of a mess if ABS was installed.

Hence my question; Is it technically possible to install Brembo ABS on a XR1200? I realize it would be costly...
The day I came back from the trade show I visited the nearest HD dealer and I got told it wasn't possible. Maybe you guy's have some advice on how to achieve this.
If this is really a NoGo than I would need to look for another bike (with a bleeding heart)

Thoughts??

I emailed HD too about this. I'd really love ABS on this bike, if this bike would have abs as an option then it would be a straight buy, straight i tell you!!

iam a new licensed 24 year old guy who only took leassons on a ABS bike, of cours ei understand the technique in the breaking but i know the benifits from ABS are just worth it!. Iam not going to buy a bike withotu abs because in 1-5 years most bikes will have abs.

Btw, i can't find the power of the engine except 100 nm torque. anyone knows?

Back