xlch 1966 won't start

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 66 sporty 55, Mar 18, 2013.

1. 66 sporty 55

66 sporty 55 New Member

I bought a 66 xlch that has been sitting for about 2 years.
    I cleaned the carb,set points,new plugs.checked timing
    Changed all oils.
    I checked spark seems ok but I am not familiar with magnetos.
    It seems to be getting fuel.
    The most I get is a pop.

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Pull a plug & see if it's wet. There's a fine line between no fuel and too much fuel with a kick only engine. If the plug(s) are wet, hold the throttle wide open and clear engine with a couple of kicks. They don't have to be hard kicks. Then try starting without holding throttle open, or choke on. If plugs are dry, try dripping a teaspoon of gas into the carb. throat and see if it fires for a few revs. I prefer not using starting fluid, head gskt. damage can happen.
    Be CAREFUL with that kicker, Ironheads have a well deserved reputation for ruining knees.

3. blademan

blademan Active Member

Retard Spark, isn't it still manual on 66'?

4. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

Breeze3at is right about taking care kicking it. I spent a month in a cast from the Knee down back int the late '70's due to Racketing on a '68 Iron Head. Tore all the Ligaments off my right ankle. Very PAINFULL. I also think blademan is correct on the Retard timing for starting. If memory serves me there is an Air Gap setting for the Magneto plus points settings. A friend had one when I meshed up my ankle. He was missing one of the set screws for mag. unit and it would slip out of adjustment from time to time. He would loosen the 1 remaining screw,slip in a business card, retighten and off to next Beer stop we'd go. Those were the Days.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Morris Magneto - MM3 Instructions Here is a link to a magneto set up, they can be tricky buggers to get right, if you do not retard the timing all bets are off from the old days and sporster knee