free website stats program XL 883 low speed lag or miss | Harley Davidson Forums

XL 883 low speed lag or miss

Baggh

Hey all,

When my bike gets up to operating temp it will "lag" or "miss" intermittenly when I am pulling out from a stop. It doesn't happen everytime but it is certainly annoying... and can be dangerous if I am pulling out in traffic, especially riding 2up.

It has Vance and Hines pipes... I am not sure if the air cleaner was altered or changed from stock... or if it was jetted. Could it need a different airbox to open it up, simply adjust the fuel mixture screw a tad, clean the carb, or rejet?

I'm certainly hoping that its an adjust fuel mixture screw fix :)

thanks in advance for any help

Not knowing what has been done to the bike, it's difficult to say what it needs. Could be jetting or even a plug/wire fouling out or going bad. Once you find out if the bike was jetted, then you can go from there. Best way is to look and see what jets are in there now. Also look to see if the idle mixture screw concealment plug has been removed exposing the screw itself, should give you an indication if anything was done to the carb or not.

thanks guys... when I get home this evening I'll check all this out. I'll let you know what happens.

Appreciated as always

thanks BM Angel... now that you mention it I remember your post about this prob... I even commented in it... duh.

do you recall where that brass plug is located? I took my aribox off yesterday and gave the carb a gander. It appears to be on the side facing the rear of the bike.

thanks

thanks BM Angel... now that you mention it I remember your post about this prob... I even commented in it... duh.

do you recall where that brass plug is located? I took my aribox off yesterday and gave the carb a gander. It appears to be on the side facing the rear of the bike.

thanks

Twin Cam CV Carb Rejet Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community
I followed this self help tech tip posted here on the forum!
This place is so great and the Mr. Glider is the HD god to me!!!

thanks

Look from the horn side of the bike between the cylinders.

thanks all. wow... this site has much more than first meets the eye. There is a libraries worth of information (much of it with supporting pics)!

Glider... I used the below image to find the idle screw on my sporty and it appears to be where mine is located. I eyeballed it when I got in today. The brass cap has already been removed so chances are the previous owner already jetted it (has Vance and Hines pipes). The pic you displayed within this thread is the float bowl drain I believe.

CV Carb Rejet Pics - Harley Davidson Community

Is the "idle screw" what I need? Is it the same as air\fuel screw (I jetted my TTR 230 dirtbike and it was the fuel screw).

Also... one final question before i get to turning the screw... is this necessary? Meaning... I only get this miss every once in awhile and "only" when starting out. Other than that it runs like a champ. Still... there shouldn't be a miss at all.

Last edited:
Woops....sorry, wrong train of thought here.:D

The idle mixture screw that you posted is what I should have posted. Readjusting that in many cases will eliminate some lean mixture problems on some bikes without getting into the carb proper.

Wouldn't have been a bad idea either to drain the carb float bowl in any event. I like to do it periodically at services on carbed bikes to remove any sediment or water that accumulates in there.

Back