free website stats program XL 1200 T Derby cover gasket | Harley Davidson Forums

XL 1200 T Derby cover gasket

First trans/primary lube change on my wifes new sporty and I can not get the quad ring gasket to fit in the primary cover groove. On my ultra it fits in the derby cover but on this sporty it fits into the primary cover. Is there a trick to this, Ive tried pushing but seems groove is not deep enough to retain the gasket ring. I have not allowed the engine to cool yet and will continue to struggle all night if need be as we have a trip planned tomorrow morning. I dont know about other XL's but this design has me stumped. Any body help please?

Alcohol swab to clean the groove and a bit of lithium hi-temp grease in the groove and the gasket stays put. Service manual says nothing of letting primary cool to ambient before adjusting clutch, unlike the ultra. Old school grease saved my day!

I remember having the same trouble when I had my 1200. Changed the cover from plain to flames collection and had a devil of a time getting the gasket to stay put. did the same as you, cleaned the groove very well with mineral spirits and applied a little grease as well. Well done pipereefer!

Back