free website stats program wrong hole | Harley Davidson Forums

wrong hole

gunnut

Hi, one of our guys has been useing RED LINE heavy duty shockproof in his PRIMARY.Understandably,hes a bit worried about the possibility of an expensive repair job sneaking up on him.
So,what kind of damage can be caused by useing the wrong oil in the primary.Come to that,what damage can be caused by useing the wrong oils everywheres in the engine,and how long before the damage (if any)would write off the engine/trans/primary??

The thicker oil may cause a bit of clutch drag as it may cling to the plates if it does then he may have to strip the clutch and wash all the plates in some petrol then dry them refit and fill with the correct fluid
but he may get away with just replacing the oil with formula+

Brian

Not to worry, I use diesel oil in my primary.
kemo

HAhahahahahahaha

KEMO, That's what I was going to tell him to Use to CLEAN Out the Redline Shockproof Heavy with...........

Go figure anyways!

signed....BUBBIE

It shouldn't cause any damage but I would use some 10/30 or 10/40 oil and refill it and run it a bit then drain it out. The redline will take a few changes to get it all out but it will not cause a problem.

Don't know why some servicers head for the exits if gear oil is inadvertently used where regular engine oil is supposed to or vice versa in a Harley. Your modern engine is pretty resilient even if dino engine oil or gear oil with different viscosity or heat durability is allowed to run at normal temperatures in an engine, primary or tranny, pretty silly that even MOCO uses Engine Oil (high temp low vis lube) as standard. True long term use at extended temps high temperatures would break down the gear oil or long term use cause premature wear/damage, but not if used a short term, momentary lapse...no sweat, it is not like mixing ethylene glycol and then petroleum product. All oils are rated to be compatible within their basic families by API and other petroleum manufacturers which regulate and rate oils, blends or intermixed to be compatible. That and the fact that dino oils and lubes have been around a long time achieving a high level of competence before the modern synthetics of today. Simple flush with engine oils and going to your favorite (correct) engine oil or gear/primary lube should be fine.

Last edited:
Thank you guys,I've passed on all the information,I'm gratefull for your advice ,(as usual)and My buddy is also.I'm trying to get him and some of the others on this forum,..as they say,its the best thing since sliced bread.Thanks again.

Back