free website stats program Wrenching, A Beginning | Harley Davidson Forums

Wrenching, A Beginning

Ishmael

On a happy note, I've taken the advice of so many here on HDT and have begun to do some wrenching on my own. Yesterday I set aside ample time and changed all the fluids in my 2000 Fatboy. Lesson 1: you become more familiar with your bike, that transmission plug eluded me for about 30 minutes. I finally jacked it way up and found the rascal between the horizontal shocks, actually a little hard to get to since the shocks are pretty close together. Lesson 2: there's a lot of dirty oil left in the engine even after draining the tank. I followed Glider's fine instructions and pumped the oil out by disconnecting the return line. I pumped a little too long but got a good quart of what I considered "dirty" oil out as well as a little clean oil. Lesson 3: You know that little tool that's needed to compress the springs to get the return line out? It goes on the INSIDE of the clips, not the outside. Works very well but that one took me a while to figure out. That's the way you learn though. Oh yeah, if you're old like me, put on your glasses, the 3/8 works way better than the 5/8 tool. Didn't take long to spot that mistake. What did I put in? Mobil 1 20w-50 synthetic in the engine, Spectro GL-1 75/140 syn in the trans, and HD+ in the primary. Finally, I know the mind can play tricks when you have certain expectations, but I think I can tell a difference in that I have smoother shifting now. Rock on!
Ishmael

Good combination of oils you chose. It's not your imagination, it will actually shift smoother.

I have that feeling a lot. Hmmm, that works way better than what I was doing.....:) But, the important part is that you are doing it and LEARNING while you do it. I never dreamed I would know what I know now about my bike. :s

Thanks to the fine folks here at HDT!

Hey yhose are the oils Glider uses in his bike! Did he have anything to do with your choices? By the way they are the same oils I use in mine, and yes Glider influenced me on my choices! I don't regret them one bit!:s

Good for you, Ishmael. It's is a great feeling to work on your own bike and learn.
It helps to take your sweet time and not rush. :ap

It's the great feeling of "self-satisfaction" when you step away & admire the work. Great job getting in there & wrenching on the scoot. Next thing you'll be tearing into the motor...;)

The more you do on your bike the better you will get to know it
So well done for getting started and saving a few pennies by doing your own work is another bonus

Brian

The more you do on your bike the better you will get to know it
So well done for getting started and saving a few pennies by doing your own work is another bonus

Brian

And if you do happen to mess something up working on it, don't worry, the tecs in some dealers do it too.:D

Another job well done, now lets ride were burning daylight:s

Back