wrapping HD pipes

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Bedrock, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Bedrock

Bedrock Active Member

Are wrapping pipes on an HD bad for the pipes? I've read a bunch of other random google posts where most say that they're bad for the pipes & will rust them out from the inside w/in 2 years, but a minority say the pipes will be fine if wrapped tightly (& coated), and a slight few saying this is more of an issue w/ metric bikes but none i could find specifically addressing HD's.

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Wrapping exhaust pipes is in the drag racing world the thing to do, the heat contained helps with exhaust scavenging, it is more a cosmetic thing IMO on modern day street bikes JMO

3. Bedrock

Bedrock Active Member

that's exactly why I wanted to do it, but not at the cost of damaging the pipes. was jus lookin for some DIY poor-man's bobber mods.

4. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

No expert on the subject here. I have read more cons than pros on wrapping them. I understand that ceramic coating will help with scavenging if that is what you are after, expensive!

5. smartguy

smartguy Member

A friend and I wrapped the pipes on his 2008 Night Train. What a pain in the butt. He bought a kit that supplied the wrapping, zip ties, and paint. First of all if your going to paint them, make sure you have a HOT day or a big oven. Second it takes two people to do a good job. Third take your time. Last my hands hurt for a couple of days after. Gloves, good luck with that. He said, it brought down the heat to his leg a little, which is one reason he did it. The other reason was for looks, it's kinda cool looking on his all black bike. He has had to touch up the paint a few time, as it burns off. It has only been a year so not sure about the condtion of his pipes.

6. Bedrock

Bedrock Active Member

cheers for the feedback. think I'm gonna stay away from it for the time being.