free website stats program Would you leave a 2008 FLHX Stock? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Would you leave a 2008 FLHX Stock?

:D I'm thinking of buying a white 2008 Street Glide. Will it hurt the reliabilty of the bike to leave it stock? The 2007 and newer bikes are repoerted to run very hot. I would consider adding Stage 1 to it later. I like a 2 into 1 pipe. Thanks.

Mtwillyman,
Greetings from the other side of the state. Depends on what you mean by "stock". I doubt anyone leaves any bike completely as it was produced, for long at all. Most people change at least cosmetic items (grips, pegs, mirrors, etc.) fairly soon, or add utilitarian items such as luggage rack, fog lights, etc. As far as performance goes, making it bigger, louder, faster, usually isn't far behind. The important thing is to make it how you want it and make it work better, for you!! Personally, I haven't even added stage 1 upgrades to my ride. However, I have added alot of items to "make it mine!" Good Luck and Enjoy!

I got a 08 street glide and had to make changes. The lean running factory settings had to go. Not being one to stick to original I put a set of Vance and Hines big radius 2 in to 2 with and Arlen Ness big sucker and a Vance and Hines fuelpak. Like buying a new bike. Runs cooler, smoother and a big differance in power. Not bad on pricing to get the parts and did the install myself. Fuelpak easy to install and support is there if needed.

you could try. i'm sure there are a few out there bone stock. maybe we could take bets on how long before you 'start to make it yours'. buy it, enjoy it. when you're ready to start adding/ changing....do it.
It is up to you. I have an 01 Dyna that still has the stock frame and gas tank on it with the exception of the gas cap and hi flow pingle pit cock on the tank. Everythig else is different. I probable have $28,000 tied up in it! I also have an 07 streetglide and I have spent $4,000 on different and various things to make mine! If you can leave it stock, more power to you!

:D I'm thinking of buying a white 2008 Street Glide. Will it hurt the reliabilty of the bike to leave it stock? The 2007 and newer bikes are repoerted to run very hot. I would consider adding Stage 1 to it later. I like a 2 into 1 pipe. Thanks.

I can't believe that Harley would sell something that, if left stock, would have reliability issues. Stage one will give you more power and it will allow the motor to run cooler but I don't think it increases your reliability. The only reason I'll consider engine mods is if it gets unbearably hot this summer in any stop and go situations.

Other threads have brought up the issue of hotter (stock) engines breaking down the oil sooner. In other words, more frequent oil changes with a high quality oil will be necessary. IMO, small price to pay in lieu of thousands on stage one!

If you want the power or the sound of new pipes, go for it. But don't talk yourself into it being "necessary."

I got a 08 street glide and had to make changes. The lean running factory settings had to go. Not being one to stick to original I put a set of Vance and Hines big radius 2 in to 2 with and Arlen Ness big sucker and a Vance and Hines fuelpak. Like buying a new bike. Runs cooler, smoother and a big differance in power. Not bad on pricing to get the parts and did the install myself. Fuelpak easy to install and support is there if needed.

Not like it's the main reason I bought a Harley, but, what did all that do to your gas mileage?

I tried to leave mine stock, now I have v&h true duels, stage one, and hd download. I'm waiting on the TFI. It did cool it down some!!

Hey nothing wrong with stock. Basically if your not doing performance enhancements (stage 1, 2, 3, 4,) then your actually better off than those doing the bling thing. That stuff may look nice but it actually lowers the performance by adding weight. Most will disagree with me but that's cool to each his own but I'm a rider not a shower so more interested in the engine and drivetrain performance than the shinny stuff.

We need a montougue of Darknights bike that sure has to a sight to be seen. Ican't recall seeing oone outside of a showroom floor.:D

I'm leaving my FLTR stock for the first 10to 15k.My{edit} needs to repair itself from the cost of the bike befire i upgrade..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back