free website stats program Worrying noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Worrying noise

"Dealer say they are prepared to put in writing that they have examined the engine and have no concerns with any of the other engine parts"

I agree with Glider have them check the runout My neighbor had a similar issue it ended badly with a broken crank covered under warranty 1 more reason I like ESP but still would like to know cause and effect

"Dealer say they are prepared to put in writing that they have examined the engine and have no concerns with any of the other engine parts"

I read that but....
That means little if they didn't check the runout on the crank. They have a way of twisting up words to make it look like something else.

Ask them SPECIFICALLY if they checked the runout and what the runout was if and when they did it and to list that in their letter which I bet you never get.:s

"They are prepared to put it in writing" Why not do it then?

If the dealer won't check the crank tolerences on their own behest, does anyone know what sort of hours in terms of labour would be required to carry out such a test, as I may ask them to do this and pay for it out of my own pocket so that I at least have the results. Lets assume that the bike has been re-assembled after oil pump replacement (although this may not be the case yet)

If the dealer won't check the crank tolerences on their own behest, does anyone know what sort of hours in terms of labour would be required to carry out such a test, as I may ask them to do this and pay for it out of my own pocket so that I at least have the results. Lets assume that the bike has been re-assembled after oil pump replacement (although this may not be the case yet)

ME.... I would call or go there RIGHT NOW and ask(demand) them TO CHECK THE CRANK RUN-OUT WHILE IT'S DOWN....IF NOT IN SPECKS.... STOP THERE! DON'T REPLACE THE OIL PUMP......

regardless of WHO is paying for the repairs, YOU have the RIGHT to see the specks on the run-out and if WAY OUT that needs to be addressed before NEW pump installed...

signed....BUBBIE

Received a brief update this afternoon over a poor mobile phone line, it appears oil pump was OK and that problem lay with one of the lifters due to a blocked oil line / channel, they replaced all the lifters and have spent the las 2-days checking everything out and are happy with results. I will go in on Tues / Wed this week and get details in full.

ME.... I would call or go there RIGHT NOW and ask(demand) them TO CHECK THE CRANK RUN-OUT WHILE IT'S DOWN....IF NOT IN SPECKS.... STOP THERE! DON'T REPLACE THE OIL PUMP......

regardless of WHO is paying for the repairs, YOU have the RIGHT to see the specks on the run-out and if WAY OUT that needs to be addressed before NEW pump installed...

signed....BUBBIE

The only problem with that theory is HD's "run out" spec of Acceptance is .012" which in reality is about 7 times too much. So if your run out is .010", HD will say all is well. So what do you do now?

The only problem with that theory is HD's "run out" spec of Acceptance is .012" which in reality is about 7 times too much. So if your run out is .010", HD will say all is well. So what do you do now?

What would I do now? :D

I think I would be tempted to take the bike out and drive it like I was possessed downshifting abruptly until something gave like the flywheels shifting to increase the runout enough to take out the pump and then call them and tell them to come pick it up, but that's just me. More than one way to skin a cat :bigsmiley24:

Back