free website stats program Worried | Harley Davidson Forums

Worried

sellisssn

Yesterday As I was trying to enjoy the first ride of the season, I had some engine issues.

First of all, I have a mostly Stock 2004 TC88 EFI Engine with a Screaming eagle Phase I download, Sampson pipes, and an S&S EFI Intake. I have no poping or backfiring but I do have the normal Gurgling of a loud exhaust on Decel. The bike has been bulletproof until yesterday.

The morning Started out fine but at our first stop I had trouble Starting the bike and the "Check Engine" light came on. I turned the ignition off and then back on and the bike started and rode fine till we stopped for lunch. When we came out the bike hardly started and I noticed the check engine light coming on durring idle and some rough running at idle then it would pick itself up and run fine at idle then fall off again moments later till it stalled. At one point I had trouble even starting it without holding the throttle open. I also noticed that the speedo did not work when I got it running again (this happened Twice). Suspecting bad fuel since it sat with this fuel all winter, and being low on fuel I decided to fuel up. The bike ran fine until I let off the throttle and the bike stalled during a coast into the station. (stalling on off throttle / coasting, happened a couple times last year too but went away after a tank of gas.) Leaving the gas station it happend again at idle and the bike stalled and was fairly difficult to start). Once started it ran fine till the next stop some twenty miles away. It was easy to start but after idling for a few minutes waiting for the group to gather it flashed the check engine light again and idled pretty rough then picked up and idled fine and the light went out. A few minutes later we were accelerating hard out of the parking lot and just after second Gear the bike stalled again. I was able to restart it easily and when it restarted i was fine for the next 40 miles. We came to another stop and it started and ran fine after that the rest of the way home, about 25 miles. out of curiosity I started the bike later in the evening and it flashed the Check engine light again but from The information in the forum here, it is telling me I have an inactive code. Other than that the bike seems fine rite now.

Any suggestions??????

Worried!!!!!

Thanks Glider, I am going to drain the gas and run out the rest. Should I put some sea-foam or drygas in the tank too?

I'll read the Code this afternoon per your instructions and see what that turns up.

I replaced the Spark plug wires and checked the plugs yesterday too. The plugs look clean and in good shape, I did notice that the front cylinder plug seemed a little loose. On the other end of things though, I think I'll add some Baffels and toss the foam S&S air filter in favor of a K&N.

I also noticed that the intake/throttlebody was a bit sooty? Is there a way to clean that safely? Should it be cleaned?

Thanks for the help, sorry if I'm a bit excitable, this is my first motorcycle / harley ever and other than wrecking the bike three years ago. The bike has been ridden without a hitch about 12K Miles.

Scott

Some dry gas or sea foam will never hurt anything.

The K&N would be my choice of filters and the throttle body can be cleaned with a carb cleaner but do it and let the intake dry before starting it or you may set a code when the sensors are wet.

First, is your bike EFI or carb? I am assuming EFI. If you have a carb bike, ignore all this.

If you drain the tank and siphon out all remaining fluid in the tank, add Sea Foam or dry gas to the tank with the new gasoline, and you still have problems, I think you will have to pull the stuff out of the tank to tinker with it. I would suggest changing the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator. Inspect the plastic tubing carefully for pin-holes - both of them. I like to take one end off and blow in it to see if there is any leakage. In fact, here is some info on it:

Fuel Sending Unit - Harley Davidson Community

Get a flashlight AND your eyeball in the tank and make sure it looks clean of debris or any floaty bits, and NO water at the bottom of the gas. Inspect the pump to make sure it looks OK. I like to run it out of the tank (I use mineral spirits) just to see how it operates. Stuff everything back in the tank using a new gasket and screws, and re-secure everything. If you had to replace the tubing due to pinholes, I am sure your problem will be gone. If not, hopefully changing the fuel filter and regulator will help. If not, then your problem is not in the tank, and time to try other things. Let us know.

TQ

Gentlemen,

I had a P0505 "Loss of idle control" fault code.

I Cleared the code and ran the bike for a bit last night with the New gas New plug wires, clean throttle body, new air filter, and my new exhaust baffles and not only does th bike feel like it has a little more power but it ran like a top. No Check engine light! The real test will be riding Two-Up on Saturday.

Thanks for the help, now if I could only get my Air ride to work properly I'd be set.

Scott

Back