free website stats program worn brakes ?? | Harley Davidson Forums

worn brakes ??

any ideas? Can anybody HELP ME PLEASE????

your back piston not releasing , bad rotor, m.c. needing rebuilt/replaced, air in the lines ,weak back brake pedal, wrong brake fluid. what brand of brake pads was on it? Have you done any work in this area lately?

i put on new pads.and the pedal all the way down again. when iulled the old pads there was only 1/8 thickness dif from the new ones

i put on new pads.and the pedal all the way down again. when iulled the old pads there was only 1/8 thickness dif from the new ones

Check for pressure in caliper, pump up then let sit for a minute, crack the bleeder do you have a steady stream? Collapsed hose? Randy mentioned the correct fluid, This is very important do not confuse Dot5 for Dot 4

If the reason you changed pads is because the pedal went all the way down, your real problem was NOT the pads. In a properly working system, as the pads wear, brake fluid is taken from the master cylinder reservoir to make up for the wear. Provided there is adequate fluid in the master cylinder, the pedal should never go all the way down because of brake wear. There are only three reasons why the pedal should go all the way down. 1. A leak in the system and fluid is being pumped out of the leak each time the pedal is pushed allowing the pedal to go full travel as the fluid leaks out. You would see a puddle under the bike where it is parked. 2. Over time, the brake fluid level has not been maintained and as the pads wear, you finally suck air into the system each time the pedal is released. Air compresses and would let the pedal go all the way down. 3. There is an internal leak in the master cylinder, no exterior "wetness" to be seen. When the pedal is pushed, fluid leaks around the piston seals so no pressure can be built up, and again the pedal goes all the way down.

Changing the pads won't fix any of the above malfunctions. Was the pedal going too far or all the way down BEFORE you changed the pads?

Remember the pads do not have alot of lining on them to begin with. Some guys change the pads for being worn out when in fact the pads have 50% of lining remaining. As above posts mentioned recheck work and if caliper was sticking to the point of wearing pads down in 200 miles caliper would be sticking causing fluid to overheat and pedal would go all the way down....

yes the peddle was going all the way down

before i changed the pads,it had fluid,i got half a peddle after the pas were changed

I want to thank everyone for there help. I drained all the fluid,filled it with new fluid,and bled it, now i have a full brake peddle. thank you:bigsmiley24:

Back