free website stats program World's Longest 10K Service! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

World's Longest 10K Service!

Doc, your post about the washing machine had both me and Cat laughing as she reminded me about our dishwasher debacle! We went up to the Sears "Scratch and Dent" store, where they sell, obviously, open-box items at a truly big discount. Our fridge that is sold in the Sears store for $2399 was $900 there....a little ding on the rear left side, which is completely hidden since it slided in between cabinets in our kitchen.
The dishwasher was a similar great deal. Regularly $999, it was in the "Scratch and Dent" store for $479, and only had a tiny scratch under the handle, which I ultimately buffed out anyway!
Well, at that savings I couldn't "give the money back" by paying for an installation, could I?
After all, it's just a power line and a feed line and a drain line, right? And I was pulling out an old dishwasher, so all the lines were in place already.
To keep a long story short, a flooded kitchen and melted electrical line later, (a miracle I didn't both burn the house down AND kill myself in an electric shock), I gave up and called the plumber, who because I had fried the wires made me call an electrician.
The install, which would have been SIXTY DOLLARS if I had contracted it at the time of purchase, wound up costing TWO HUNDRED when all was said and done, not including the purchase of a shop vac I ran out to buy to get all the water off the floor in the kitchen.

You can stop laughing now Glider! :newsmile100::newsmile100:

I think I can hear him all the way down here in Georgia!

I guess we all have different talents that end of making us work together instead of being completely self-sufficient -- that kind of world would make it really hard on the economy!!! :lolrolling Plus, I'm not sure we would need a forum such as this!!!! :small3d031:

I guess when they say, as I thoroughly believe, 'The right tool for the job' that would include the individual running those tools!! :bigsmiley12:

It is VERY GOOD to know ones limitations while at the same time, testing those limitation on different occasions.

I commend you both - Dr. D and Richard - :cheers :cheers

Ride safe and above all else, ride a safe ride

CatWoman

Glade you ask that one because I was thinking it . I did not know replacibg brake pads was a 10,000 mile serives. Inspect yes but replace that would be was to soon for me

Well you both must have missed my thread where I asked everyone about how to determine remaining life of the pads if you can't see the "wear bars" that are depicted in the service manual. I honestly couldn't tell the condition of the pads just from an external inspection, probably because I'd never had to do it before. Figured I'd have to remove the calipers and physically take the pads out to really get a good look and if I was going to go through all that, might as well replace them. Now that I've done it one time I understand better how everything fits together and interrelates, how old pads look vs. new pads, and I will be able to trust my own judgement better on the next inspection.

One of the fine things about owning a Harley is the scope of expressing yourself as an individual. It is a freedom enhancing part of your life, as well as freeing you of many of your £s, $s or €s :s.

So I say, well done Dr. D. you are on a journey of learning and experience which I have set out on (about 8,730 miles behind you) and am loving every minute of as I learn more and more about my bike and how she runs - especially on this great site.

And fair play to you too Richard for your frankness and honesty about wanting to leave the maintenance of your scoot to the pros. Why not? It's not like you have to be able to do everything on your bike to be able to enjoy riding it (although I wish I could and it's my aspiration).

As Smitty always says - "your ride, your choice".
Enjoy it in your way be it enjoying the reassurance of paying a pro to do something you don't want to do, or getting down and dirty with some tools (which I find very therapeutic :D:D:D).

Doc, your post about the washing machine had both me and Cat laughing as she reminded me about our dishwasher debacle! We went up to the Sears "Scratch and Dent" store, where they sell, obviously, open-box items at a truly big discount. Our fridge that is sold in the Sears store for $2399 was $900 there....a little ding on the rear left side, which is completely hidden since it slided in between cabinets in our kitchen.
The dishwasher was a similar great deal. Regularly $999, it was in the "Scratch and Dent" store for $479, and only had a tiny scratch under the handle, which I ultimately buffed out anyway!
Well, at that savings I couldn't "give the money back" by paying for an installation, could I?
After all, it's just a power line and a feed line and a drain line, right? And I was pulling out an old dishwasher, so all the lines were in place already.
To keep a long story short, a flooded kitchen and melted electrical line later, (a miracle I didn't both burn the house down AND kill myself in an electric shock), I gave up and called the plumber, who because I had fried the wires made me call an electrician.
The install, which would have been SIXTY DOLLARS if I had contracted it at the time of purchase, wound up costing TWO HUNDRED when all was said and done, not including the purchase of a shop vac I ran out to buy to get all the water off the floor in the kitchen.

You really need someone like me as a neighbour all the stuff you have trouble with i find straight forward to deal with
However i dont like writing or typing i could do with a typist to get whats in my heed onto paper/screen

Brian

You're a hazard to your own health!!:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

It's a good thing you send the bikes to the dealer for servicing .:D

You know, I think it would be fun if the dealerships offered a "mentoring" program whereby you rent a stall and get access to their tools, and can ask questions of the techs as you go. I suppose thats not practical because in theory it enables you to be self sufficient which reduces their profit.

Heck, I think it would be great if they allowed you to watch them work on your bike, but I suppose thats frought with risk too. Insurance, etc. Plus I'm guessing other mechanics dont want customers lurking around, I'm sure there's "shop camaraderie" which sits behind the "employees only" sign.

Or even "clinics" like Home Depot does. It might make people use the dealers service less, but heck, I'd be more likely to buy parts there, and I think its a great way to develop community with the dealerships and their customers.

Congrats DrD, I know how you feel. The more Glider gets me into the better. This year has been rough on the riding schedule, but I am getting ready to do the services for both our bikes here soon. :s With the manual & this site with all the fine folks willing to help you out with any questions nearly instantly, you will quickly find the confidence to do way more than you ever dreamed you would get into when you bought the ride. :D

Back