free website stats program won't try to start | Harley Davidson Forums

won't try to start

don r

1993 flhs was running fine. Went out today and when I push the start button nothing happens. Head and tail lights are on, direction signals work but brake light does not come on. With the ignition switch left on about every 10 seconds the lights flicker and a clicking noise comes from the dash. Help, don r

Start at the source, how old is the battery? do a load test. Try cleaning all the battery connections. Just because the lights come on doesn't mean the battery has enough power to crank.

My big test when that happens is the horn. When the lights come on that's one thing, but if the horn doesn't sound right then I know it's the battery. But I agree with Jeff on getting the battery checked out. Just don't try to jump it with a vehicle that's running whatever you do. Then while you're there after you do get it running, check the output to make sure she's charging correctly.

If the battery checks good, check the battery ground connection. A bad connection at the frame will allow lights to work but not enough amps for the starter.

Had similar problem with my '91 Dyna. Hunted for weeks maybe even months trying all the battery, breaker, fuses, starter/solenoid and wire debugs. Nada! Turned out to be corrosion by-products in the Start Button switch. Disassembled all that, cleaned out all the whitish-greenish stuff, sprayed it all out with contact cleaner, lubed it with spray lubricant and reassembled. Fixed.

Cheers,

TQ

I had almost the exact thing going on. For me it was corrosion on my battery posts and corrosion on the grounds at the frame by the battery. Your battery will still check good while this uis going on so don't be fooled. Also was reminded on here by another member that vibration loosens connections and loose connections cause corrosion. I cleaned all my connections really well and after tightening everything down added dielectric grease to keep connections clean. Cured all my troubles.

Back