free website stats program Won't stop starting | Harley Davidson Forums

Won't stop starting

buford96

Hey all,
I've looked on this site for about an hour not wanting to repost and didn't see anything here or in self help. I am running a S & S 110 with a 4 speed and a kicker, solenoid on the primary. I am having a couple of problems that started at the same time. When I hit the starter button the starter continues to crank when engine running and when I try to turn the ignition off it will not kill it. I have to disconnect the battery to stop it. Around the same time frame, after taking off when bike is cold it stumbles a bit, but when warmed up it missies real bad. I did put new points in a week prior, they were burnt. Ran great after new points. I rechecked to see they moved, all ok there.
Battery, cables, starter and solenoid are 4 months old. I checked all of those connections, they are tight and clean. Am I having an ingition switch problem ? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting too many stares drivin' my pick up with my helmet on.

Signed,
Missing my ride !
Tom :31:

check the solenoid .. sounds like its sticking .. or else the starter button is sticking ..

Maybe a carb adjustment prob on the other

I wish I had the answer to this one but you have already been given some great answers. I bought my first Harley in 1975. From then until my present 1988 I have never been able to remove the spark plugs and hit the starter with out it running continuly until the batter was dead or disconnected. Fossil

Often times when the starter continues to run there is a spot on the brass washer in the solonoid, this spot is akin to a bit of welder slag, that is a bubble of metal if you will that has occured on that washer, simple remove it and either turn it around so the clean side faces the contacts or gently grind that slag off

That was it.............just goes to show how new it is, it don't matter.
Thanks for the tip !
I am convinced my stumble is in the points. I guess I will switch over to elctronic this winter. Thanks again !

That was it.............just goes to show how new it is, it don't matter.
Thanks for the tip !
I am convinced my stumble is in the points. I guess I will switch over to elctronic this winter. Thanks again !

You sure you have points in a 1996 Fat Boy? Should be electronic even with the S&S

Back