free website stats program Won't start! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Won't start!

Update.......no luck yet.

no fuel pump

When you say "no fuel pump", do you mean there was no 2-3 second prime? If you do get the 2-3 second prime, your problem is not an electrical fuel pump issue.
The fuel pump only primes for 2-3 seconds when you boot the ECM and the pump does not run continuously until the engine is running with a repeating crank sensor signal seen by the ECM.

Turn the key off and wait 20 seconds. Turn OFF the kill switch. Turn the key ON. Now listen while you flip the kill switch to RUN. Do hear the pump prime for a couple of seconds then quit. You can also use a meter and measure voltage off the fuel pump fuse. The meter should read for just a couple of seconds. Does that happen.
Note: Flipping the switch back and forth will no repeat the priming sequence.

A thought. The fuel pump fuse on Electra Glides is NOT in the panel with other fuses, it's on the other side of the bike with the ECM. Is your bike the same? Could you have missed it?

Last edited:
When you say "no fuel pump", do you mean there was no 2-3 second prime? If you do get the 2-3 second prime, your problem is not an electrical fuel pump issue.
The fuel pump only primes for 2-3 seconds when you boot the ECM and the pump does not run continuously until the engine is running with a repeating crank sensor signal seen by the ECM.

Turn the key off and wait 20 seconds. Turn OFF the kill switch. Turn the key ON. Now listen while you flip the kill switch to RUN. Do hear the pump prime for a couple of seconds then quit. You can also use a meter and measure voltage off the fuel pump fuse. The meter should read for just a couple of seconds. Does that happen.
Note: Flipping the switch back and forth will no repeat the priming sequence.

A thought. The fuel pump fuse on Electra Glides is NOT in the panel with other fuses, it's on the other side of the bike with the ECM. Is your bike the same? Could you have missed it?

Hoople.......no sound or priming at all....dead silent.

Breeze! You might have something there. I do not know but will drive home and check. (fingers crossed)

This is a long shot, have you had the controls apart lately? Does your kill switch work?

Jack, I hear ya! Been having the same thoughts today. Yes I have had them apart recently when I installed the new grips but I have ridden it since doing so. It's possible I did some damage.

Continuing with what Jack suggested,, here is an easy check for the bars kill/run switch being good or bad.

1) The IGN fuse must be good. When you turn ON the ignition switch you must read 12 volts at the IGN fuse to frame ground.

2) Remove the System relay (located on same board as the ENG CTL, ECM & Fuel Pump fuses. Relay should have a black cover)

3) Look at the bottom of the relay. Identify pins 87, 87A, 30, 85, 86. Leave the relay unplugged.

4) Take your voltmeter and measure the voltage between receptacle pin 86 and FRAME ground. With the ignition ON and the kill switch in RUN, you must measure 12 volts. If you don't, the bars Kill switch is not working.

Jack, I hear ya! Been having the same thoughts today. Yes I have had them apart recently when I installed the new grips but I have ridden it since doing so. It's possible I did some damage.

On the controls you might want to loosen the screws and make sure everthing is aligned property before tightening them back up. But Hoople's got you going down a good route there.

Sometimes fuses are hard to "see" if they are blown. You can always put them and put an ohm meter or test light across them if in doubt.

With the keys/fob in the back bedroom 50 feet from the bike.....no flashers go off when I raise it up.

Assuming factory security for 2006 behaves like my 2009, the blinkers should have gone off (or at least blinked with a warning) when you raised the bike off the jiffy stand. Have you ever checked to see if any codes are stored.

See if the kill switch is working like it should and we will go from there.

Back