free website stats program Won't start with electric starter but will kick start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Won't start with electric starter but will kick start

Don't forget to check the output voltage from the starter relay. When the points in the relay become burnt over time, the output voltage from that relay will be decreased to a point that it won't operate the starter solenoid. One clue to low voltage to the solenoid is burnt contacts inside the solenoid, because the low voltage from the relay doesn't allow for good solid contact because of a weak electro magnet pull. What usually happens as the condition worsens is the solenoid will stick and not disengage. If that ever happens, change the relay and disassemble the solenoid to clean the burnt contacts. There may be other causes for your problem, but this one is easy to check.

Don't forget to check the output voltage from the starter relay. When the points in the relay become burnt over time, the output voltage from that relay will be decreased to a point that it won't operate the starter solenoid. One clue to low voltage to the solenoid is burnt contacts inside the solenoid, because the low voltage from the relay doesn't allow for good solid contact because of a weak electro magnet pull. What usually happens as the condition worsens is the solenoid will stick and not disengage. If that ever happens, change the relay and disassemble the solenoid to clean the burnt contacts. There may be other causes for your problem, but this one is easy to check.

I think that is what happened too. When my stator and voltage regulator wasn't charging the battery. The battery was too low to start it electrically and the solenoid stuck even when the key was turned off. I think I'm going to change the starter relay just to know I have a good one.

What is stumping me now is the tach is still not working. I checked for crimped wires which it did have. I straightened it out and put some electrical tape to prevent a short. The light bulbs in the speedo and tach were blown. The high beam light indicator works but the other lights do not. I looked at the wiring diagram but do not see a fuse anywhere. If the circuit breaker trips, how does it reset?

When the breaker cools off, it resets by itself.

Make sure where the wires were crimped that you found that the copper isn't broken inside.

Thanks Glider, I plan on getting some new wire so I can fix the crimp. I didn't have any at the house. I'm wondering if the starter relay is bad therefore, causing my tach problem. The diagram shows a orange wire coming off the tach going through a connector then to the starter relay. Would the starter relay cause a problem like this? Or just my crimped wire?

Hard to say from here without testing it but also check the connector and see if you have continuity through the pins too. Open it up and check for any corrosion or discolored pins in the connector.

I checked the pins on the connector disconnected (not the connector attached to tach the other side). Should all the readings be 12 vdc? I did not check for continuity. I didn't even think to do that. Duh

Relay, Solenoid or Starter
Is there any way to test whether it's the relay, the solenoid or the starter if you have that clicking sound and the battery shows strong ? (this is not my bike)

Back