free website stats program Won't start, just clicking noise from relay | Harley Davidson Forums

Won't start, just clicking noise from relay

OUTLAW-13

Hi. I have an '05 heritage, fuel injected,with security, I'm working on. The owner said he just put a new battery in it (not OEM) and now it won't start and makes a clicking noise from the starter relay. The lights all work with ignition on and I can hear the fuel pump cycle when I turn on the ignition. I've reprogrammed the key fob and it works properly. Battery voltage is 12.4V at the battery. Also did a load test on it and it stays above 10.5V. I have checked and cleaned the battery terminals on both ends of the cables. I even checked and cleaned the starter relay terminals. The new battery is slightly smaller than the stock one is. Not sure if its the correct battery for this bike. I tried putting a jumper box on it but it did the same thing. Not sure what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Remove the starter relay. With the Key Off & bike in neutral, place a jumper wire (14-16 awg) between the battery positive terminal and the Green wire terminal on the starter. The bike won't start but should crank.
If it does crank, the starter relay is probably bad. If it does not crank, the starter assembly has an issue.

Attachment is for a 2005 but yours should be the same.

Attachments

• 2005 starter.pdf
    41 KB · Views: 54
Thanks for the info hoople. I opened the siliniod and the copper plate was all corroded and pitted. I sanded it and cleaded it, put it back together and it starts just fine now. Thanks again.

That corrosion crud can build-up everywhere...good deal it happened in your garage vs. out on the road. Glad things are back in running order!

Back