free website stats program Won't start - ARGH!!!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Won't start - ARGH!!!!!

Avalon635

I desperately need some help here, I am a new rider and love my bike so much. However, I have had some problems. I was riding down the highway and heard a pop and then the spedometer went down to 0 so I was going to pull over but it seemed to go back to normal. Next day bike would not start, turned the key to ACC and nothing came on (headlight) and then to start and the lights on the spedometer just shut down and nothing works. I checked the fuses and from what I know they look ok. I took out the Maxi fuse and put it back in and tried again and same thing - lights on spedometer came on and then died.
I am heartbroken at this point yes a bit dramatic but I love this bike lol
Any help would be greatly appreciated
The bike is a 2006 Sportster XL Custom

Welcome Avalon535 to the HDTimeline forum, home of many HD riders and enthusiasts willing to share their troublelshooting tips and experiences to make your ride better.

By the symptoms you have given, it sounds like you have a dead or dying battery or bad primary connections, so you have to check all the connections FIRST, pulling the main fuse, then scraping and cleaning connections at both ends and coating with dielectric grease (HD dealer, NAPA,O-Reileys, PepBoys etc) as you stated that everything is off INCLUDING the headlight. Also, when you pulled the fuses, did you actually see the "S" wire intact inside each one, in particular the IGNITION and HEADLIGHT ones (check your owners manual or service manual to identify the ones in question. Also, does your bike have the HD security system using the button fobs? This is just a question to clarify the bike configuration and help troubleshoot. Also may want to check the DTC (Diagnostic Troubleshooting Codes), just scroll to the top and look in the Self Help Tips by clicking the tab.

Last edited:
I would hazard a guess at the main braker or remove, clean and reinstall both battery cable connections on the battery. Neg OFF first and on last.

Thanks for the information, you don't know how much I appreciate it!!
The battery is brand new and I have a tender attached to it, which was also professionally installed. The battery did take a few hours to charge the other day so I thought it was that at first as well. I did see the "S" shape when I looked at the fuses. I am pretty sure I knew which one was the fuse for the spedometer as I heard a noise from it when I put the fuse back in. As well I heard the same noise when I put the maxi fuse back in. I tried the ignition switch again and the spedometer lite up and then turned the ignition on full and it all died again.
For the codes do I need to have power to see them??

If the battery is brand new, you may start with the connections as the possible source then. Did you replace it or someone else?

The main breaker / maxi should be in the area of the fuse panel, usually have one or the other. Suggest getting the factory manual for the bike from the dealer.

Here's the code procedure.

04-07 HD DTC Codes and Activation - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
The battery is new and was professionally installed and the tender was put in at the same time.
I do have a Clymer manual and have looked it over but alot of this is still Greek to me lol
I will look at the link you provided, thanks again so much for your help, muchly appreciated

Just tried to get the diagnostic codes and when I turned the ignition switch to ignition it all went dark and nothing was showing up???? Battery??

Back