free website stats program wont restart | Harley Davidson Forums

wont restart

skier

we have a 1974 sportster and it won't start after it warms up. New points condenser plugs and wires. Starts when cold 5 kicks.

Have you checked for spark when it's hot?

Need more info other than it won't start. Have you done any mods lately and how long has it been doing this.

I do not have any real experience of 70's harleys but have a a fair bit of time with the older British bikes and 5 kicks from cold would seem a wee bit too much i would expect to start 2 or 3 kicks from cold
First thing i would check is the ignition timing ensure first of all that the points gap is correct then set the ignition timing to the static marks
as the points cam follower wears and the points need re gapped always re set the ignition timing or the timing will be off and the bike harder to start
If the points gap and ignition timing are good then the carb may be the problem area

Brian

Have you checked for spark when it's hot?

Need more info other than it won't start. Have you done any mods lately and how long has it been doing this.

Coil could be bad. Heats up, causes an open condition inside the coil, coil won't work.

What kind of carb? On my carb bikes (S&S carbs) a cold start was a couple blips of the throttle, enricher on, and slowly kick through with ignition off once , then key on and kick her. On a warm motor kick it through once with key off and then try it. No choke or throttle. If no go crack the throttle just a "wee" bit. Try different variations of this to find your bikes happy place. If it doesn't start after a few kicks shut the key off and kick it through easy with the throttle held open. the try again with no throttle.

Back