free website stats program Won speakers in a raffle. | Harley Davidson Forums

Won speakers in a raffle.

Mavagrand

Actually won some speakers in a raffle at work. Here is my question, they are Sony xs-mp1610B marine speakers. brand new, size is 5 5/8 from one mounting hole to the other; 6.5 in speakers; peak power is 140w; rated power is 40W and the speakers are 4 ohms. Can I just replace my facotory speakers with these? Are the factory ones in parallel or consecutive?? Not familiar with radio stuff but remember something about parallel and consecutive. Not at home to do research so hope you guys can help me out. thanx.

Thanx for your response, biglew. these new speakers say they have an impedence of 4 ohms..so so can I just replace my stock ones with these or are they too powerful..i've done research but not sure I understand this stuff. Will these 4ohm speakers work or would they somehow damage myradio??? sorry for my ignorance.

Roger that, Lew. Seems we're both outta our comfort zones. I'm gonna give these speakers to a buddy that can use them and head back into my zone. Appreciate your help.

Actually a very good call. Generally "home" speakers are designed to take "punishing" power and are heavy and inefficient for given amount of power. The motorcycle stuff does not use heavy bass or high power, and generally rely on high efficiency and removing the "bone crushing" bass which consumes power and is more a sensation thing as the fairing has too little air volume to resonate deep bass (think automotive trunk woofer assemblies using 10-12" drivers that consume 100's of watts).

Go with motorcycle/outdoor speakers and if you want lots of bass, use an electronic crossover to route bass to solidly mounted woofer box...(maybe in your travel trunk/box for solid mounting and store removable woofer (bass reflex with tuned port gives the most "booming bass") if you are so inclined. If really serious, you may want to direct wire fused Power AMP to drive it from the battery.

Back