free website stats program wobble | Harley Davidson Forums

wobble

hargun2

Got an 06 Classic and loaded it up for a trip last weekend and I noticed that right before I stop the bike is wobbling. Feels solid above 5 mph and at speed but this wobble right before I stop has got me concerned, any Ideas????

Check yor tires for air pressure. I had the same happen to me. 5 lb of air can sometimes make a big difference!

the bike is wobbling. Feels solid above 5 mph and at speed but this wobble right before I stop

Does the bike have the Same wobble effect if you slow down by downshifting instead of using the brakes.
Must you use the brakes to get the wobble effect. If the answer yes, try using just rear brake or just front brake to see if wobble is influenced. Collect more supporting information on cause and change of effect.

no wobble down shifting and now that you mention it I use the front brake right before I stop and very little back brake. One more tid bit is that I remove the tour pac when I'm riding locally and there is no wobble at all in that configation.

Tour Pack hummm. A couple of months back there was a post and the guy was going nuts with wobble (but his was at much higher speed). He tried everything & it turned out to be his tour pack. Can't see that being the case at the speed your doing (5 mph) but thought I may mention it.

I would leave the tour pack on and use just the Rear brake and see what happens. If it wobbles I would guess (though I don't understand how) it's tour pack related. Or at least a harmonic or fundamental of the tour pack.

I put docking hardware on the tour pack and have had passengers with no wobble but this is the first trip I had a small five pound tent strapped to the top of it with no passenger. Boy it's hard to believe that that small amount weight would shack the whole bike

Here's a thought. Maybe when it's loaded, you are off balanced and
your "muscle memory" is compensating to keep it all upright without being aware of it? With a tour pack, the higher weight compounds the effect.
Have you ever noticed when you are riding solo, you can get to a much lower speed without wobbling than you can with a passenger?

Got an 06 Classic and loaded it up for a trip last weekend and I noticed that right before I stop the bike is wobbling. Feels solid above 5 mph and at speed but this wobble right before I stop has got me concerned, any Ideas????

Is this a tire problem or a brake pulsation?

I put a tour pak on my 06 rdking and had a 666 lowering kit for the rear end, had the same problem but only when it was loaded down with stuff for a trip, after alot of switching things around came to figure out the lowering kit was throwing off my gemetrics and weight. pulled the lowering kit and its fine!

Putting weight high up on tourpack can cause wobble, that happened when I only put gear on rack of top box on my touring bike (saddlebags were empty)...was too "lazy" to open it up and put inside. Thought I had a flat tire...before realizing it!

But as others have said, front tire and rear tire wear or low tire pressure will also compounds weave, because less friction losses means no damping of side by side oscillation...in some cases is worse at higher speed causing a big time "tank slapper".

Back