free website stats program wobble | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

wobble

You that when I first got my 05 EGS, I called JPCycles and ordered some items for my ride. The sales person asked me if I was interested in some sort of nylon bushing for the swing arm. I asked him "Why would I need them?" He then went on to explain all about the wobble, and how the stock bushing were not all that great, and that the bushing JPCycles had would fix that problem PDQ.

Now that raised a question in my tiny so call brain, that if this has been a problem, how come it took till 2009 to fix the wobble problem. "Asuming there is one." I have not felt any problems. The only problem I have it when I am touring down certian portions of I-95 with the ruts in the road. Now that will make you fill like you have a wobble for sure.

I think like a previous post here that Dunlop tires can cause such a problem.

tlyoungb

I went from my '91 Dyna to my '03 UC. I ride every day that the weather forecast say 30% chance of rain or less. The UC is my first touring bike.

It was a BIG change going from the "little" Dyna to the UC. Higher center of gravity, and all that windage really took some getting use to. Once I got a few miles in the "new" seat, I started to recognize that the big bike felt "loose" when taking long sweeping curves at highway speeds. Didn't matter which direction the turn was. I had not felt that on the Dyna, so for a while I thought this bike might just ride differently. But it was a very disconcerting feeling especially with my lady on board.

So I started studying up on the phenomena online. I lowered me with a REACH seat, and replaced the rear air shocks with the lowered version. The front end was already lowered. Bought new tires. These things did not completely fix the problem, but it seemed better.

Ran across the True Track site and read the stuff there. They were describing what I was experiencing. Did a bit more research and determined that once the isolators get older (especially if the front motor mount is wearing out), they will allow more movement of the swing arm even to the point of having the tires aligned on different paths! Certain speeds, loads, riding styles exacerbate the problem. This is an oscillation problem - the rear does not stay pointed on the same path. It "wobbles". These problems can develop over time and get worse as the stuff wears.

So I invested in the linkage system that attachs to the rear of the oil tank. Replaced the isolators, bushings, swing arm shaft, and front motor mount. (True Track calls this the "Trackula"!!).

My bike now rides like it is on a rail. I no longer experience that wobble regardless of speed, load, riding style, etc. It is still a big bike and not as nimble as the little Dyna, but incomparable to how it was.

This is just my own personal experience. Others may have a different experience.

TQ

I have a 08 ultra classic and have zipped down highway 12 through Low Low Pass in Idaho fast enough to have the edges of my boots rub the pavement but never have felt any wobble, maybe I'm lucky, but I have decieded that speed on the Ultra in the corners, evan though the bike handled very good, may be too much, for me that is, after all we know these are aka,:D geezer glides

Some EXp it some dont why who knows maybe the guy at factory didnt line everything up .. im tired of guessing

I have felt it scary enough by yourself 2 up really gives pucker facter and im talk 50mph or so not warp speed hobbit

Like TQ i went with a track kit and problem went away

How about the skip? that's what I call it anyway.Hobbit should apreciate this one.It's when you are going way to fast for a corner and your footboard mounts are into the pavemant causing a great show of sparks and the rear wheel to skip off the pavement. Did that one last year trying to keep up to my nephew on his sport bike! Gives your heart a good workout!:newsmile055:

Coming up on my third riding season and glad to report with almost 5000 miles never a wobble on my 2007 road king.

I have a 03 Ultra and have never experienced anything that could be catagorised as a 'wobble'. I do however ride conservatively and am relatively light.

Hey Glider, or Hobbit, Maybe you can tell me. You know I just posted a comment about the progressive Touring Link Chassis Stabilizer, and still have not gotten a response or anything.

My concern is that these stabilizers they advertise to help with this rear wheel wobble. Do you or anyone else know about the stress that is put on the transmission pan bolts? I know they supply the customer with longer bolts, but how about the stress put on the bolts and the threads that these bolts use? What is your opinion on this? I as others here value your knowledge and to me this is a real safety concern.

Thanks

Back