free website stats program wobble | Harley Davidson Forums

wobble

I'm thinking about trading my sporty to an electra glide standard. I've seen mention of "wobble" on the touring models and was wondering how bad it was, does it make the bike hard to control and can it be fixed?

I'm thinking about trading my sporty to an electra glide standard. I've seen mention of "wobble" on the touring models and was wondering how bad it was, does it make the bike hard to control and can it be fixed?

If you are going with the '09 touring bikes, I think the frame and suspension have been redesigned. May not be an issue on these bikes. Here is some info on alternatives for earlier bikes to deal with the whole rear-steer thing:

True Track Installation - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Hobbit and Biglew nailed it. Some people encounter it fairly frequently, others never or almost never. It has a lot to do with loads, tire pressure, riding style, motor/frame alignment, road conditions, and on and on. So many variables that it's almost impossible to predict if it will be a problem for YOU. If it is a major concern to you, make sure you budget for the addition of some kind of stabilizer or go straight to the 2009 models.

I think some of it is rider weight .. I feel it at 45 barley in the long sweepers and 55 and up i feel 70 i feel it a lot in the long sweepers tighter corners make it worse .. I don't fly i just like to crusie.. its worse when the mrs is on it to .. Staiblizer took a lot of it out .. the redeisgn of the 09 should take care of it with out the staiblizer

It certainly varies from bike to bike. My 96 Classic never wobbled in 54K miles. My '05 Classic didn't either. I rode my friend's 02 Classic and it was absolutely scary above 70 MPH it wobbled so bad. My '08 Ultra Classic wobbles more curves but is pretty stable on the highway. In a turn it feels like the rear tire is going down. I just installed a True-Track Stabilizer and it is vastly improved.

The same friend that had that scary '02 Classic now has a '09 Classic that is just as stable as can be, a very nice ride.

One of the things about Harley's, there's almost aways a aftermarket fix for most of the problems they may have. All it takes is money!

Ride Safe!

Mine has never had the wobble,and I hope it never develops one

STEVE07:
If you have had your ride in all types of riding conditions you plan to encounter and have not noticed a wobble, than you don't have it. You will not develop a wobble. The way I understand it, it either has it or it does not. You may develope a wobble due to bad tires, air pressure or other introduced "mechanical" issures that can be fixed. I have not heard of any 09 bikes with the new frame having it. But then.......?

Back