free website stats program Wobble in 2009 and later Touring Bikes? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wobble in 2009 and later Touring Bikes?

RWB

I have found from experience with balancing tires that you can static balance a tire and then spin it and correct the balance done by static balancing it. My money is on the spin balance.

Static however is better than not balancing a tire at all. It's just not as accurate.

Thanks for the clarification JimmyDee. My question is what condition are the tires in especially the rear. The reason is as the rear tire wears especially on a bagger, the tire wears in the middle leaving the edges like new. While cornering, since the tread is not rounded from shoulder to shoulder there is a edge on the sidewall similar to a 90 degree edge. As you approach the edge while cornering the bike tend to fall to sidewall which will give you this sensation that you are complaining of. I liken it to the rear tire is like a 2x4 and the tire no longer has a smooth transition to sidewall tread. So when working at the Harley shop I always recommended to my customers to be careful when a new tires installed because bike will handle like it has power steering which means very fluid cornering cause tires are now round again.
Hope this helps.....

T The reason is as the rear tire wears especially on a bagger, the tire wears in the middle leaving the edges like new. While cornering, since the tread is not rounded from shoulder to shoulder there is a edge on the sidewall similar to a 90 degree edge. As you approach the edge while cornering the bike tend to fall to sidewall which will give you this sensation that you are complaining of.

Makes total sense. OP did say that adding more air pressure helped. That would tend to force the worn center out and reduce the edges somewhat. Certainly something to consider.
I'm dying to know if this bike has laced or cast wheels.

And to the OP, I will say that Glider and Hoople are the best you could have on solving your problem. Exellent analytical knowledge between the two of them.

Totally, totally agree with this. There are several others, Newhd74, Smitty, Uncle Jack, etc. to name a few that could be thrown in with this statement.
Hoopie: Thanks for explaining the single weight situation. I had no idea until now and that's what makes this forum the BEST!
Thanks bro and again, welcome back Glider,
Craig

Hope the pic can show you something about the tire.

The wheels are stock and the pic might not show it but the tires look new and do not show any uneven wear.

Attachments

• Rear Tire 1.jpg
    Rear Tire 1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 19
2008 Streetglide - 1700 miles, stock cast wheels and stock tires.

Conclusion:
I have checked the bikes alignment, balance of the tires and quality of engine mounts.
I purchased a True-Track, ran it 100 mile installed, removed it and ran it another 100 miles.

Positive - I can say that there is a more solid feel with the T-T system installed. This can be very difficult to explain because what is perceived to me might be different to others. The yardstick that I used was, did it remove the 'flat tire feeling' and I feel that it did remove 80% of it. My drive way is about 1000' long and I immediately had the feeling that everything was connected (less sloppy) even before I reached the highway.

Negative - The trade off is a little more vibration especially around 2100 to 2200 RPM's.
You loose about 1/8" clearance, I found this out when I pulled into a gas station that I have used many times before. Crossing a small depression from highway to parking lot, it scraped something used to strengthen the brace that T-T calls a Dogbone. Didn't harm anything just never did it before and left scrape marks about the size of a quarter on the Dogbone.

In summary, after all the settings that have been checked and verified this is the only thing that I know of as a possible solution to the "Flat Tire Feeling''. Whether I want to accept the vibration trade-off will be determined over the next 100 miles.

Thanks to everyone that offered solutions and comments, you all are what makes this site great.
Jim

In summary, after all the settings that have been checked and verified this is the only thing that I know of as a possible solution to the "Flat Tire Feeling''.

Jimmy, There is still 1 question for me that was never answered. Going back to entry point #30 paragraph 2.

".....I must ask you if this problem developed over time because I imagine it was not like this when New. (not "new" to you but "New" as in zero miles on the odometer) "

The big question for me is this.=> Has this been the case since you acquired this bike. If the answer to this question is a flat NO (bike USE to be fine when New), then in my opinion you still have an issue that CAN be repaired.

Back