free website stats program Wobble in 2009 and later Touring Bikes? | Harley Davidson Forums

Wobble in 2009 and later Touring Bikes?

JimmyDee

I have experenced that "flat tire" feeling on my '08 Streetglide. It doesn't just happen in the curves it can happen on the straight away. I am working with the very helpful people at True-Track on getting my problem solved.

My Question: Is this problem isolated only to pre-2009 Harleys or has anyone experenced this on later models?

Have a great evening...
Jim

Wish I knew more about the Touring suspension to help you but only know the Dyna. Plz let us know what the people at True Trac say. I am sure you are going to learn a bunch from them and would really like to learn what they tell you.

Wish I knew more about the Touring suspension to help you but only know the Dyna. Plz let us know what the people at True Trac say. I am sure you are going to learn a bunch from them and would really like to learn what they tell you.

I will keep you posted on my experence with True-Track, which up to this point has been nothing short of great. They have ask that I check several things in an attempt to narrow things down.
At first I thought that it might help with my vibration, but I have come to think the vibs are coming from my wheels/tires. In my opinion which means nothing, I feel that there are entirely too many wheel weights on my front tire (about 7).
I tried the bike with the True-Track for 60 miles, then immediately removed it and put 60 more miles on the bike, along the same route and I can honestly say that in my mind I perceived an improvement.

Will comment more after a few more miles.

I feel that there are entirely too many wheel weights on my front tire (about 7).

Man Oh Man. There would never be a reason for having that many weights. Even if they used the 120 degree,, 240 degree,, 360 degree method of placing weights, there should only be 2 weights.

Everything I have read on wheel balancing is that you cannot use more than 3oz and that the weights should be placed on both sides of the wheel.

If your referring to the so called death wobble, it is not an Issue on 2009 and newer . The 2009 and up touring bike is a whole no frame it has nothing in common with pre 2009 frames. ... .... ....

As many different things that have been attributed to wobble, I assume the consensus is that it does not occur as often with 2009 and up ??

I have experenced that "flat tire" feeling on my '08 Streetglide. It doesn't just happen in the curves it can happen on the straight away ... ... .... ....

What exactly does it feel like ? I ask since I rode quite a ways at 70mph the other day on a straight run, then turned in a store and never even realized I had almost a total flat till I got off the bike and looked down.

Man Oh Man. There would never be a reason for having that many weights. Even if they used the 120 degree,, 240 degree,, 360 degree method of placing weights, there should only be 2 weights.

I have never seen that many weights either even on cars. That would be the first thing is a tire balance.

Everything I have read on wheel balancing is that you cannot use more than 3oz and that the weights should be placed on both sides of the wheel.

I have achieved INCREDIBLE results (with new tires rides like your on glass) using a Marc Parnes static wheel Balancer. 1st rule, Never assume that the valve stem is the heavy spot of the rim assembly. Check it by finding the heavy spot of just the rim to be sure. Then Dot match the tire to that heavy spot.

Laced wheels can be a totally different story and challenge due to having 2 planes of possible run-out. The factory allowable run-out spec for laced wheels is a bunch. They could be perfect but the stars would have to be aligned.:)

To me it feels as if the rear of the bike could come out from under you at any time. It is a feeling that you don't have a solid grip even in a gentle curve at moderate speeds.

I have achieved INCREDIBLE results (with new tires rides like your on glass) using a Marc Parnes static wheel Balancer. .. ... ... ....

Yea I read the whole thing on that guys site last week, he does have a very sensitive balancer setup, Ace quality. I would love to buy it but it's over a $100 and I'm thinking I'm gonna try Brian's static balancer plans first. If I ever get all my hours back at work I'm gonna buy Marc's balancer too. I believe he suggests balancing the wheel first then also after mounting the tire.

To me it feels as if the rear of the bike could come out from under you at any time. It is a feeling that you don't have a solid grip even in a gentle curve at moderate speeds.

Umm yea I was afraid of that. Don't know why I was so lucky the other day, but did not feel a thing.

As far as wheel weights I have gotten away for lead weights completely, I now only use Dyna Beads and love them. Not only I haven't had any issues with the wheels, theirs no lead unsightly weights on the wheels :bigsmiley12:

Back