free website stats program wobble after 60mph | Harley Davidson Forums

wobble after 60mph

dimex3

i been having wobble on the freeways anytime the bike go over 60mph. the bike is lowered with 11' rear. any stablizer kit i can get to reduce this wobble? Not a strong wobble or anything, i don't feel like i will loose control of the bike. It just doesn't feel stable or safe.

thanks!

Harley Davidson Community

Most common cause of wobble is bike is 5 or 6 years old is tire conditions front AND rear. The front in particular can cause it because the tread pattern if present resists the side by side movements, and damps the wobble along with the drivers hand and arms which absorb the wobble weave tendancy as well. Loose or worn out steering head bearings, improper "fall wway" and finally worn rear tires, even control arm bushings can make the bike feel "loose", espcially deaccellerating...(we do not push chassis/suspension components.

I am with the others. You don't need a stabilizer, you need to find what is out of line or balance or adjustment. Tire wear is the simple thing to check if things are uneven, there something is not right. Neck bearings, Swing arm. If it is wobbling, there is something out of kilter.

Be sure to check the wheel bearings when you check the other things noted here.

Just wondering. The wobble is at 60 MPH. Can you drive through the wobble meaning at 70 is the wobble less/gone or does it just get progressively worse..

Also, Laced or Billet wheels.?

thanks for all the great replies! the tires are both new. the wobble starts around 60mph and it gets worst with speed. not sure how to check the rest, maybe i should just take it to the dealer. you guys are usefully! This is the best forum on any bikes/cars i ever had.

thanks for all the great replies! the tires are both new. the wobble starts around 60mph and it gets worst with speed. not sure how to check the rest, maybe i should just take it to the dealer. you guys are usefully! This is the best forum on any bikes/cars i ever had.

is this wobble coming from the front or the rear????? feel like a low / flat tire wobble? Handle bar shimmy real bad????

another thing to make sure is, do you have luggage on the bike when this happens....normally a typical "wobble" or head shake caused by fall away or head bearing adjustment will be from about 35mph to 45mph and will go away with more speed (im not saying thats always how it goes, so still check for that) , do you feel it in the handlebars which would be a wobble, or do you feel it in your seat which would be considered a "weave". there was a service bulletin regarding some dunlop tires that would cause a similar feeling but i believe it was only on the bagger tires. double check air pressure around 38psi front (cold) and 40psi rear(cold)

Who installed tires douable check make sure it was done right .
The mounting and the reinstall on the bike

Smitty is right. Now that we know you had the tires replaced, the place to start is there. Did you have the wobble/weave before the tires were replaced? Checking for out of round or improper mounting does not require anything but a little time. Get the front tire off the ground and give it a spin to see if the wobble is there do the same for the rear. Were the tires static or high speed balanced?

Back