free website stats program WIX Oil Filters | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

WIX Oil Filters

You can spin it any way you wish but you know as well as I know that HD doesn't publish the specs on their filters which isn't conclusive info in either direction.

Here's something to ponder over...

You and I go into a dealership with cash in our pockets and both buy the exact same bike in the same color (stupid, I know) and you put on a Wix filter before leaving the dealership and I'm happy with the HD filter on my bike because I know that it was specked for the engine in my bike. We both leave the dealership together and after riding one block your motor seizes or develops a knock. (Hypothetical I know). We both return to the dealer and they check your bike over and find that your problem was from an oil associated failure. Remember there are both brand new bikes. The dealer tells you, "hey buddy, sorry but you have a Wix filter on your bike so we aren't going to cover your repairs, but your friend here still has the HD filter on his, he must be a much wiser person".
Do you still advocate Wix filters after that?

In the world of make believe, some things just stand out over others but you feel free to use SYN 3 oil and Wix filters and I'll stick with the tried and true myself so if a problem does arise, I have room to negotiate with the MOCO if their products are used and damage occurs.

Oil Filter Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

Oh come on.. My bikes never seize:D. If both of our bikes seized and it was found to be an oiling failure, you could bet that they'd blame mine in the filter and yours would be tagged as failure to use their spec'd oil.:newsmile100:..
BTW, your scenario is why I use the HD filters and because I can find no documented ratings or comparisons between the HD filters and others.

Nice read on filter comparisons, BUT you'll notice HD's filters are conspicuously absent.

We can find info on oil comparisons but it is lacking when it comes to the filters. The Amsoil White Papers were the confirmation I was looking for to keep using M1 V-Twin oil.

Oh come on.. My bikes never seize:D. If both of our bikes seized and it was found to be an oiling failure, you could bet that they'd blame mine in the filter and yours would be tagged as failure to use their spec'd oil.:newsmile100:..
BTW, your scenario is why I use the HD filters and because I can find no documented ratings or comparisons between the HD filters and others.

Partially true....In the oil department, if you use an oil that meets or exceeds the suggested oil from the MOCO, they can't do a thing about it but in the filter department, it's a different story altogether.

Glad you are using the HD filters after posting about the Wix filters. At least there some hope for you :D

Synthetic Oil Use - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
You and I go into a dealership with cash in our pockets and both buy the exact same bike in the same color (stupid, I know) and you put on a Wix filter before leaving the dealership and I'm happy with the HD filter on my bike because I know that it was specked for the engine in my bike. We both leave the dealership together and after riding one block your motor seizes or develops a knock. (Hypothetical I know). We both return to the dealer and they check your bike over and find that your problem was from an oil associated failure. Remember there are both brand new bikes. The dealer tells you, "hey buddy, sorry but you have a Wix filter on your bike so we aren't going to cover your repairs, but your friend here still has the HD filter on his, he must be a much wiser person".
Do you still advocate Wix filters after that?

In the world of make believe, some things just stand out over others but you feel free to use SYN 3 oil and Wix filters and I'll stick with the tried and true myself so if a problem does arise, I have room to negotiate with the MOCO if their products are used and damage occurs.

Oil Filter Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

Your argument here does not hold water. In your story above, a person would be held liable for repairs if they do not use MOCO parts. 100% not true! If it were true, you, Glider, would also be liable, as you use Mobil 1 oil and not H-D oil off the shelf of your local dealership. You too are guaranteed protection:

"There is a law called the Magnusson-Moss Act that says, in layman’s terms, an OEM cannot require a consumer to use an OEM part or fluid in order to maintain warranty coverage unless that part or fluid is provided free of charge."

And the 2 bikes described above are under OEM warranty. And last time I checked, H-D dealerships are still charging exorbitant prices for their filters and oil. I respect your argument, knowledge and time you spend on this board helping people. But please do know the facts and the law.

Your argument here does not hold water. In your story above, a person would be held liable for repairs if they do not use MOCO parts. 100% not true! If it were true, you, Glider, would also be liable, as you use Mobil 1 oil and not H-D oil off the shelf of your local dealership. You too are guaranteed protection:

Read this letter...

Synthetic Oil Use - Harley Davidson Community

I am also pretty well versed on the facts you mention too.

There are also inclusions that if a part is deemed to cause damage to an engine or system that is not an HD part, they can void your warranty for that system.

Dealers And The Magnusson-Moss Act - Harley Davidson Community

Tossing this out for a question..

WONDER if "Donny Pederson ?" has done a study on Oil Filters... You know Who I mean,,,, the Canadian EH,,, He usually has Most things covered..
Jack K. follows his reads... What say you guys that Know?

signed....BUBBIE

I'm for taking OFF any AB normal part and putting back the Normal HD Part Before I go in with any problem that could be BLAMED as the cause..

No loss of Honesty on my part........... as I do Protect MY right to use any parts I want BUT will not go back and take a chance that the aftermarket part I use is the EXCUSE for HD to NOT cover my problem..... I'll go back STOCK in the area NEEDED.......:devil

signed....BUBBIE

First off, How would HD know/prove that a Wix oil filter caused engine damage?
And if, and thats a big if, then Wix, because their oil filter meets or exceeds HD specs would be liable for engine damage.
And isn't it funny that these other filter companies "know" HD specs but can't tell you?
Call Champion Labs, they make HD filters, along with other filters for HDs, and they "all" meet or exceed HD specs.
...and my Dad can beat up your Dad!
wilks3 :D
:USA

Your argument here does not hold water.
And last time I checked, H-D dealerships are still charging exorbitant prices for their filters and oil. I respect your argument, knowledge and time you spend on this board helping people. But please do know the facts and the law.

If $9.00 for a black and $14.00 for a chrome and $11.95 for a quart of Syn 3 is exorbitant after spending many thousands on a Harley and then customizing, I am wondering on how much you are saving by not buying HD oil filters and Syn 3being just a OK oil??????? I'll continue to use what works for me, Mobil 1 and black H.D. filters.

Tossing this out for a question..

WONDER if "Donny Pederson ?" has done a study on Oil Filters... You know Who I mean,,,, the Canadian EH,,, He usually has Most things covered..
Jack K. follows his reads... What say you guys that Know?

signed....BUBBIE

I'm for taking OFF any AB normal part and putting back the Normal HD Part Before I go in with any problem that could be BLAMED as the cause..

No loss of Honesty on my part........... as I do Protect MY right to use any parts I want BUT will not go back and take a chance that the aftermarket part I use is the EXCUSE for HD to NOT cover my problem..... I'll go back STOCK in the area NEEDED.......:devil

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, Donny has done several articles on H D filters, I do not have one in front of me right now but I will by the weekend, any way I will stick with black H D filters They have never failed me yet and I know I can always find one even in another state when I am traveling, How is that for peace of mind:s

Donny's Unauthorized Technical Guide ... - Google Books

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like I knew...5 micron oil filters are hype. Please read all of Donny's stuff. Very interesting.
wilks3 :D
:USA

Back