free website stats program WIX Oil Filters | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

WIX Oil Filters

From the WIX website:
Part Number: 57148
UPC Number: 765809571488
Principal Application: Harley Davidson Motorcycles - Black Spin-on - Has glass media - (Chrome version is 57348)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Glass
Height: 3.404
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 5

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.730 2.400 0.275

Now, can someone find the related info on the HD filter so we can compare??

Nope...HD filters for me.:D

From the WIX website:
Part Number: 57148
UPC Number: 765809571488
Principal Application: Harley Davidson Motorcycles - Black Spin-on - Has glass media - (Chrome version is 57348)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Glass
Height: 3.404
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 5

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.730 2.400 0.275

Now, can someone find the related info on the HD filter so we can compare??

I have a feeling your request will be fulfilled :s

+1 for oldhippie. HD is arrogant, they won't even give out how much GPM their oil pumps put out, much less specs on a oil filter. I guess it keeps the Harley mystique.
Wix makes filters for NAPA & CAR Quest.
wilks3 :D
:USA

I use Fram #6022 on both mine and my wifes bikes. I have used Fram filters on all my vehicles for many years and have never had an oil related failure. We also use Fram filters on the sprint car I wrench. If the motor builder and owner of the race car trust a Fram filter on a $28,000 race motor, I believe I will trust it on my scoot.

Just because the part says H-D on it does not make it the highest quality part available. Is Citgo oil the best oil available? That's what you are buying when you go into the H-D dealership and buy their oil. More money in the pocket of radical anti-American Hugo Chavez. Ironic, eh?

I am not against H-D parts. If you wish to put the bar and shield on your bike 100%, fine. More power to you. I am for buying higher quality parts at a much better price. Bottom line, that's what it comes down to for me. Can't we all just agree to disagree? :s

I use Fram #6022 on both mine and my wifes bikes. I have used Fram filters on all my vehicles for many years and have never had an oil related failure. We also use Fram filters on the sprint car I wrench. If the motor builder and owner of the race car trust a Fram filter on a $28,000 race motor, I believe I will trust it on my scoot.

Just because the part says H-D on it does not make it the highest quality part available. Is Citgo oil the best oil available? That's what you are buying when you go into the H-D dealership and buy their oil. More money in the pocket of radical anti-American Hugo Chavez. Ironic, eh?

I am not against H-D parts. If you wish to put the bar and shield on your bike 100%, fine. More power to you. I am for buying higher quality parts at a much better price. Bottom line, that's what it comes down to for me. Can't we all just agree to disagree? :s

Just for your information FRAM Filters are absolutely Junk! They rate very low in any oil filter test I have seen on Bobistheoilguy's web site! At one time when they were made in my State being RI many years ago they were tops! But that was a long time ago! My friend has a Sprint Car he runs & he has a Fram Filter on his $25,000 engine! I looked at him & told him he was crazy for running that junk on such an expensive piece!...........:coffee

Just to be the devil's advocate:newsmile100:: HD filters must be superior because they're HD, but HD Syn3 oil must be bad because it's HD:bigsmiley22:?

You can spin it any way you wish but you know as well as I know that HD doesn't publish the specs on their filters which isn't conclusive info in either direction.

Here's something to ponder over...

You and I go into a dealership with cash in our pockets and both buy the exact same bike in the same color (stupid, I know) and you put on a Wix filter before leaving the dealership and I'm happy with the HD filter on my bike because I know that it was specked for the engine in my bike. We both leave the dealership together and after riding one block your motor seizes or develops a knock. (Hypothetical I know). We both return to the dealer and they check your bike over and find that your problem was from an oil associated failure. Remember there are both brand new bikes. The dealer tells you, "hey buddy, sorry but you have a Wix filter on your bike so we aren't going to cover your repairs, but your friend here still has the HD filter on his, he must be a much wiser person".
Do you still advocate Wix filters after that?

In the world of make believe, some things just stand out over others but you feel free to use SYN 3 oil and Wix filters and I'll stick with the tried and true myself so if a problem does arise, I have room to negotiate with the MOCO if their products are used and damage occurs.

Oil Filter Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

Probably the most important issue is to use a good oil, change it and the filter at the recommended intervals. BTW there's not a whole heck of a lot of difference between 5 and 10um unless you are a virus or bacteria...lol

Back