free website stats program ?? With a 1997 FLSTC Steering head? Help | Harley Davidson Forums

?? With a 1997 FLSTC Steering head? Help

CMcCoy72

HeyGuys, I have been around for a while but not posted, Well I ran into something I cant figure out. I want to adjust the steering head bearings on a 1997 Heritage softail, standard fork. I have the Harley service manual, but don't see or understand how this adjustment works. For most of the other Harleys including the heritage with a springer front, it shows a adjuster nut or a typical nut with the slots in it that you have to turn on top of the steering head bolt, under the chrome cap. BUT in the manual for the flstc and in the parts diagram it does not show this. It says there is a adjuster nut , which in the diagram shows it to be under the left side bottom pinch bolt which makes no sense to me. Any one have experience with this that can help, I did remove the chrome cap and there is the top nut but no adjuster type lock nut under it, and as I say the manuals show it to be at the same place as the left bottom pinch bolt, like the pinch bolt threads through it , makes no sense to me how that could work even if it is there. Thanks

I just looked at a parts diagram for your bike, and I have to agree with your description. Hopefully, a Heritage owner will log in soon and help.

Ya I think the parts diagram is way off, what they are pointing to and calling the adjuster , looks like the lock washer on the pinch bolt, so I am wondering if you adjust the bearings by just the top bolt on the stem, or if there is something in the bottom of the neck I cant see.

On my '94FLSTC the top nut is the adjustment to loosen or tighten the neck bearings. I sold the bike and let the manual go with it so I going from memory here.

On my 09 Heritage, I loosen the pinch bolts and then adjust the fall away with the top nut. There is no way to lock the top nut so I'm guessing only the torque applied to the top nut keeps it tight and hopefully it doesn't loosen on it's own.

Thanks geezer , I guess mine is the same, because as you say there is no lock nut etc on the top and that's the only adjustment I can find on the steering head.

Back