Winterization (the lifting of bike)

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Biffy08, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Biffy08

Biffy08 Active Member

This is the greatest site with some of the best people I have never meet!!!:newsmile01::newsmile01:
    My question is around the winterization:newsmile08: of my Ultra with factory air suspension. Is there any concern for doing damage to allowing the suspension to "hang" for a 3 month :newsmile08: period? Thoughts will be appreciated!

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

My 2008 EG has never been off the ground for winter storage in 3 years and have had 0 problems. I would be concerned with the forks also lifting in air for extended periods of time

3. oiler

oiler Active Member

Mine is always on the jack for winter storage and never had a problem. Like to keep the weight off the tires. If you decide to keep it on the ground move your bike from time to time to avoid flat spots on the tire.

4. marcus22

marcus22 Junior Member

i have an 03 ultra and i have never lifted it for the winter. it seems to work for me

5. gusotto

gusotto Junior Member

I've never lifted either my Sportster or Ultra.
    Personally, I think this fear of flat spots on tires goes back to years ago when the tire compounds were different.

Never had flat spots on either bike or cars and trucks. Some of my cars/trucks go into the cold garage when fall comes and don't come out until the weather is better in the spring.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

I never lifted my baggers in the winter in Mn, tho I did make sure there was no salt under the tires and I would roll it once a week:s

7. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

I lift my '03 Ultra every winter and to date I don't have any problems. At least none that I know of!

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

WE like this:D:D

9. Trek

Trek Junior Member

This will be my third winter bike is on jack with no problems to date. I do take it out occasionally in the winter when the weather breaks.

10. rhino 2

rhino 2 Active Member

Yep, Go's back to when the tire manufacturer used nylon in the cords.
    Those days are long gone.