free website stats program Winter | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter

Living in iowa i put mine away the end of october and hope by april i'll be able to get it back out . Starting the end of october throught the middle of december i go to missouri and duck hunt . The rest of the winter i blow the snow off the drive and side walks for fun .

Record-breaking snows in Ohio this year. I've spent my time shoveling the driveway. Today it sort of mist-rained, so I'm sure it will be ice for tomorrow.

I had to take down my Harley computer screen saver, it was too depressing.

I put the bike away once it goes below 40 outside, won't get it back out unless the roads are clear of salt and the temps are back above 40 -- seems like a lifetime away right now.

(getting all misty-eyed just wishing for warm weather...)

I ride all year long, any temp even 0 degrees and even in some snow, although I don't make a habbit out of going out on snow covered roads.
But we got nailed with a life threatning blizzard last week and couldn't even get out for a week in four wheel drives.Some people died in thier vehicles trying to stay warm"carbon monoxide poisoning got them" because of covered tailpipes. And even if we could have gotten out we were under a state of emergency"Marshall Law" and no civilian vehicle's were allowed out on any of our roads for almost a week any way. And a few day's before that storm and the 60 mph winds for 3 day's, we had just recieved 40" of snow and had not recovered from that totally. So I haven't been on the road for two weeks. The roads are open now, but the snow is still drifting across some of the roads and a little melt off is causing black ice in a lot of spots. So I'll wait a few more day's to get out the Bike.
It's funny as we watched the news they didn't mention our plight up North, only how bad it was in Wash DC and the trouble they had getting to thier snowball fight at Dupont Circle on thier Metro rail. They didn't have nearly as bad as we did. They had to airlift people off of some of one of our highways after the winds died down. People were stranded for two or three days in thier cars and trucks. They couldn't reach them in Humvees or snowmobiles, Apparently the drifts were too deep and soft for the snowmobiles to get thru. The plows were stuck also.It was a mess. That's one two week period we wish we were in Fla. Does any one have a dog sled for sale? or an Artic Cat? LOL. Glad this doesn't usually happen here.

In Michigan, I ride til the sow starts to fall. Then it goes in the garage, turn on the heat and do whatever upgrades are planned for the winter. Then start to try to steal days from the first of March til I can ride full time usually by April.

I usually park her about Thanksgiving....The rest of the time is spent at the table with a bottle of Crown Royal...a 9mm...watching the weather channel!

got to ride on 22-23 january nice weekend. & last nite after work about an hour.realy picked up my spirits.......

Here it is the middle of February with the temps up to 41 degrees today in southeastern Michigan and I just could not help myself. After cleaning the wheels and drying the bike off had to go for a ride. Was not all that bad.

Gator454

Living in Florida I am fortunate to be able to ride for the most part all year long. I was just wondering how you northern riders spend your time when you are unable to ride because of the snow and cold. When do you put your bikes away for the winter and when do you bring them back out?

I spend my time trying to win the lottery so I can quit work and move down south for the winter. It ain't working out so good though. My $10 winnings don't go very far:p.
I usually end up parking my bike by mid October and take it out by mid April. Have to wait 'til the spring rains have washed all that salt off the road.

We are having one of the worst winters we have had in years here in Missouri. I think I have PMS and seasonal depression.

Back