free website stats program winter storage | Harley Davidson Forums

winter storage

jimcb1

do you think it would be a good idea to put a vapor barrier down on the concrete (#15lb black roofing paper) and park your bike on that so moisture don't come up on the bike it is a cold damp garage

Absolutely. I use "VisQueen" 6-mil.. It is what they use prior to pouring a foundation. If the garage is damp and cold, I would also use a Golden-Rod because you must keep the bike a couple of degrees warmer than any surrounding metal. This way it forces condensation to a better object other than your bike.

Absolutely. I use "VisQueen" 6-mil.. It is what they use prior to pouring a foundation. If the garage is damp and cold, I would also use a Golden-Rod because you must keep the bike a couple of degrees warmer than any surrounding metal. This way it forces condensation to a better object other than your bike.

Wouldn't that be a cautious and slippery surface as far as foot grip?

Wouldn't that be a cautious and slippery surface as far as foot grip?

Actually what I did was put a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet (Lowe's) on top of it. I tried to glue the VisQueen to the back of the carpet but that was a waste of time and money. But for storage (not everyday use) this combo does seem to work well.

The carpet was cheap considering you can get it wet and it will not mildew. Enough to do 2 bikes was like $65.

But the #15 tar-paper is also another good choice. Anything that stops the cold & moisture from coming up from the concrete is the object.

Attachments

• visqueen 001.jpg
    visqueen 001.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 22
  • visqueen 002.jpg
    visqueen 002.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 18
  • visqueen 004.jpg
    visqueen 004.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 16
If you feel your floor is releasing too much moisture ,perhaps you might consider doing a Epoxy floor paint project in your garage , they are many companys that offer these Epoxy floor systems , they not only do a fantastic job of holding down moisture , but they look good also, RustOlium makes a really good economical kit ,I think under $50.00. for 400-500 sq ft coverage I used this system in both my garages' and I must say it is holding up very well after 2 yrs and I have no moisture problems at all .

After thinking about it, you WOULD be better off with using just the Tar-Paper. It would work just as good as far as blocking moisture, it would be much easier to work with, it is not slippery as was pointed out, you would not need the carpet on top, and it would be a bunch cheaper also...

Great idea.. Now you tell me!! :D

Epoxy floor coatings work great...not that expensive to put down or slippery if properly applied w/ traction "chips".

DSCN0794-1.jpg

An alternative are the garage floor tiles...I think it was Gunslinger who had the "man cave" with that floor finish.

How about apartment living.No indoor storage. Is there anyone who stores there bike outside all winter with just a cover?

I keep ride through the winter, but if I had to store my bike outside with not physical structure over it, I would buy or make one. It would depend on your wallet, skills and what others in your community would tolerate. Some apartments/neighbors may not like some 2 x 4's nailed together and wrapped in a tarp, but they probably wouldn't mind a manufactured, framed cover.

I would would use something that 1.) Doesn't allow the wind to use the cover as a piece of sand paper on bike. 2.) Keeps an air space around the bike so that the cover won't freeze to the bike or allow snow to build up on it or the bike. Lots of condensation that way and all covers will eventually leak a little.

After that I would follow some of the guidance on winter storage. Assuming you can't run an electric cord out to you bike in an apartment complex for a battery tender, pull the battery and move it inside for maintenance charging, fill the tank with fresh, stabilized fuel. Clean and lubricate and then I would used some of the S100 protectant and spray it down to reduce corrosion.

tn616s3.jpg

Back