free website stats program winter storage tip | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

winter storage tip

running the bike in your garage to charge the battery or evaporate condensation will do nothing for the battery but run it down, you need to get out on the road for at least 30 minutes to fully charge the battery, it runs off of the battery under 3000rpm

You are absolutely correct, I didn't add to bring up the idle above an idle so it would charge the battery. It also charges much lower than 3000 RPM too.

22 amp system produces about 19-26 vac per 1,000 rpm,
32 amp system produces about 16-20 vac per 1,000 rpm,
45 amp system produces about 19-26 vac per 1,000 rpm,

This is AC volts put out by the stator but the output to the battery is variable dependent on engine speed and is related after the sine wave is rectified, shouldn't vary much from these voltages.

Try putting a VOM on the battery and raise the rpm's slowly to verify your output at lower RPM's.

Last edited:
This will be my first winter with my new bike. This site is a wealth of information and I thank all of you for your thoughts. I just recieved a flyer from Harley. They want 299.95 (includes oil change) to store my bike for the winter in a heated faclilty. I'm not rich by no means. I do have a garage.
How many of you think its worth 300, or for the 300 I go and buy a stand, tender, cover and try to find room in my garage to store it.

I have to agree with Glider, if you have the room keep the bike at home. That way, if you get a decent day in December, you can take it out. :s That's the only thing that gets me through the winter. Just be fore warned, don't go out if there is any left over salt or chemicals on the road however, unless you have the time and facilities to clean the bike thoroughly.

We are usually okay in December, we still get enough rain to keep the roads clean, it's January & February here that the roads stay white.

I have one bike that I leave unattended for several months each year. As far as the battery goes, I can't use a battery tender or trickle charger. I make sure the battery is at full charge and then pull the Maxi-fuse. I have been doing this for several years with no problems.
On the car, boat, golf cart, I charge the batteries and disconnect. All of the batteries are in an unheated garage, in a cold climate, I'm sure the cold storage conditions help.

Last edited:
Back