free website stats program winter storage tip | Harley Davidson Forums

winter storage tip

I'm getting my roadglide serviced before I store it for the winter.The mechanic mentioned that it would be a good idea to pull the fuse for the fuel pump(inside right side cover)while the motor is running and let the fuel system run out of fuel at the time of storing it.
Living in Canada it'll probably be sitting for a good four months.
p.s. don't forget to fill the tank and add stabilizer

That's a good idea as it relieves the internal pressure on the fuel system but after the bike sits a while, the pressure will bleed down by itself so it's not really necessary.

If you think about it when you turn the key on after sitting a short time, the fuel pump comes on to build the pressure back up to the preset 48-50 lbs.

Last edited:
I got one for you, Glider. What are the parameters for doing a winter storage? Meaning since I live in the south my riding will never really cease just taper way off. Meaning, if I ride it once a week should I winterize it? Once a month? It won't ever be "up on blocks" but will probably not be ridden nearly as much as during the warmer months.

I would say once a week, don't worry about it, once a month, keep the tank topped up to avoid condensation/corrosion and a battery tender on it hooked up. Less than once a month, it's really not needed to "winterize" it but wouldn't hurt it at all if it will be dormant for long periods of time. Fuel stabilizer added to the tank wouldn't hurt it either.

One thought is that if a battery tender is used on a regular basis for extended times , the plates in the battery can sulfate because of the lack of discharge and recharge in a sizable amount so if you aren't into running it over the winter (extended periods) with a fan on it for cooling the engine, at least discharge the battery with the lights somewhat before reconnecting the battery tender.

If you run the engine over the winter, it's advisable to attain full operating temps so any condensation in the crankcase will be dissipated.

When the plates sulfate from non use, the only way of removing the sulfate is to trickle charge (not battery tender) for a period to get the acid to bubble and it will sound like an alka seltzer if you listed closely to the battery. The bubbling removes the sulfate and will return the battery to normal capacity in a short period.

NEVER fast charge a battery, slow charge it only with a trickle charger or you will warp the plates rendering the battery useless.
Trickle chargers (not battery tenders) are not a good source of battery maintenance over the winter as they do not have a tapering charge that goes low enough as not to boil a battery away. You can however use them if they are monitored for short periods once in a while.

Will there be anything else Joe?:D:s

That's one "attaboy" for you this month so far :ap

Last edited:
Not meant to be sarcastic Joe, just kidding around. Hope the info helped you out.:D

Mr. Poopy pants....
:rofl

Or Supreme Sultan of the Sporty

(Oh, that's right. He said he doesn't fool with the little ones much...:p)

That's just not true at all, that's why the baggers have two bags on them. I carry a sporty in each one in case of a breakdown, It beats calling AAA.:D LOL

Yeah DK, but I'll be on the RK and he'll be on the sportster :D My wrist works REAL good!

Who ya think will last longer?

Back