free website stats program Winter storage indoors | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter storage indoors

hd0127

If I'm storing my '12 Fat Boy in my dry heated basement for the winter, I'd rather not fill the tank and have fuel in the house. OK to remove fuel & run dry? If so, any tips on draining the tanks?

I would leave it full and put stabilizer in the tank. Running it dry will cause rust in the tanks and also could result in running problems too.

I think your asking for trouble especially if the furnace is near by.......:shock

Welcome hd0127, I agree that it is best to store with a full tank. But I also store my bikes over the winter in a heated basement..and not to keen on having all that fuel under my house. I run stabilizer through my fuel system, then drain the tank before putting it up. I am usually pulling the tank anyway, for maintenance and cleaning and its kind of cumbersome when full. Maybe you could store just your tank in a safer location...It,s not real difficult to remove. Then you could get your heads polished up nice and pretty:D

Nice 1st post, but I'll add my $.02...it's a "vehicle" not a trophy and storing inside is borderline unsafe due to the flammable fuel in tank. I'd say no to the basement storage option and (1) put in garage (tucked corner) or (2) store at your dealer.

Like glider indicated - empty tank will dry things out and cause issues. Petro, even though it's a fuel, is a lubricant as well...JMO.

Well, do what you gotta do..don't know where else I could have my coffee these cold winter mornings. Back in my younger and dumber days, they went in the living room...of course that was a rented house back then.

Attachments

• content---media-external-images-media-116.jpg
    content---media-external-images-media-116.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 54
Regardless of How Dry, I'd Put a 4x8 piece of chip-board/plywood on top a matching sized piece of plastic as a moisture barrier for you bike.

I would not be afraid of 90%+ full gas tank using stabilizer in it ON the above moisture barrier. away from spark and/or flame type heater...

Modern bikes have a good safety against changing pressures and if fuel line is Disconnected (FYI) OFF the tank, cap on tightly, I doubt you will have any problems.

Disconnect the battery Ground...

Now that is ME.

IF you weren't worried about it, you would not be asking here.:shock

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Well, do what you gotta do..don't know where else I could have my coffee these cold winter mornings. Back in my younger and dumber days, they went in the living room...of course that was a rented house back then.

love your toys!!!!!!!

Back