free website stats program Winter: Should I start it? | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter: Should I start it?

DDogg

Here in Michigan I think my riding days are numbered. I'm ready to store away my baby for a while. My question is should you start your bike every week or so during the winter just to start it? I'm going to put my FatBob up on a hoist, put stable in it and hook up a tender. Hopefull in January it hits 60 and I can take her out. I've heard different stories, one don't start it, condensation will build up which causes rust. Yea, starting it won't hurt as long as you bring it up to operating temperature. I know I'm going to be temped to start it once I shovel a path to the garage in December, Should I start it to hear that beatiful sound, or should I just look at it and dream of April???

Starting it won't hurt as long as you bring it up to operating temperature. I use a box fan for cooling so parts don't over heat.

I think that it is best to leave it sit until you are ready to ride it. Pull the plugs and drop a ounce of oil into each cyl. and crank it over a few revolutions and put the plugs back in. I have heard of people fitting plastic bags over their mufflers to keep moisture out. Also a good idea to fill the fuel tank.

Thanks Glider. I don't want to pull the plugs, like I said, hopefully come January it dries out and we get some 40 to 50 degree weather. I would just like to drop the hoist and ride. My wife will get a kick out of me telling her I need a Harley fan to keep the bike cool when I run it during the winter Ha. Again, your answer is fina Glider, thanks for your comment.

Do like Kemo said. If she is pretty you don't want to be riding her in winter with all that road salt and sand on the road anyway.

best to just let it sit unlees you going to ride it, I live in Wisconsson were it get real cold , but I never realy put the bike away I add stabel to the fuel let it run a bit.
hook up battery tenders and cover them with a good cover that breaths that manly to keep dust off. it you have a floor the sweats put wood under the bike.
If you get a few days were you can and want to ride road clear of salt go for it has never caused me a problem. Morden day sny oils and lubes are a bit more flexable than the old stuff.
Rodents like mice can destroy your bike in winter they get up under covers and eat wires . Depending on were you live keep That in mind. I really like the cat she protects my bike well but I still have a few traps out. This is another one of those ask me how I know.

Yoiu brought up a good point Smitty and I have another question? How many of us that store the bike, take the seat off and bring it inside??

Do like Kemo said. If she is pretty you don't want to be riding her in winter with all that road salt and sand on the road anyway.

I agree, there's plenty of salt here in Michigan. If the roads aren't white with snow, there white with salt.

DDogg...don't think that way.Living up here in the north as we do, 60 degrees not going to happen. Just bundle up and put her into the wind.I had a good ride just today...well that was until the snow started to blow.I live along lake Michigan so we got some of the lake affect.People may stare but I'm in my own world riding so I really do not care what they think.

I'm with Sharpscuba. I woke up to snow on the ground this morning. As long as the road is clear of salt and no ice, I'll ride. It was 40 last week in the morning, nice and brisk. But, here in Michigan, we love to lay the salt. I will not ride it with salt on the road. That's what the cage is for. I just know I'll see it sitting there and want to start it. But it sounds like I shouldn't. Let it sit until we get a nice day without salt and let the cold breeze wake me up. Thanks for all of your opinions and answers. Hope the winter is a short one.

Salt isn't the only road treatment these days, Ohio now uses a chemical treatment, liquid calcium chloride (I think) I'm pretty sure some type of magnesium compound is also used in some states too I think. I don't have any experience with any damage they could do to the bike, but I am not taking any chances with my bike.

The ice treatments whatever they are, are bad on metal. We had less than an inch of snow yesterday but accidents galore. It got pretty icey out. I wanted to ride today, (40 and sunny, 22 right now at 5:00am) but, the roads had a ton of salt put down on them yesterday. We are suppose to get rain later in the week, hopefully washes all the salt away, and I can ride this weekend. I won't ride if I think there is ice out there. Again, I appreciate your comments. Sounds like I'll let my baby sit in the garage once the snow continues to fall, and not be tempted to start her. Only if I can take her for a spin. Safe riding to you all.

Back