free website stats program Winter Shed Storage | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter Shed Storage

djzoohelp

Hey Gang,

Here in Eastern Canada we get a lot of temperatures that hover around freezing. Add to that, some good old east coast moisture and we have a recipe for condensation. Lovely!

So, I've got a water-tight shed with lots of ventilation and enough room for the bike. And a snow blower. That goes in the shed snowy. Ah - I see you're getting my jist.

So here's my idea. I'm thinking it's a bit original, but it's really just a combination of ideas I've encountered. I'm going to make a trip to the hardware store and pick up about 10 feet of Tyvek and make myself a rough-and-ready cover. Then I'm going to put a 100 watt light bulb under the bike, turn it on, and toss the cover over it. If possible, I'll make the cover tight to the shed floor (50 year-old concrete - dry). I'm thinking the bulb will prevent the frost from forming and create some sort of warm-air circuit under the cover. The Tyvek will allow moisture to exit while keeping it all reasonably air-tight.

Anybody tried this? How does it sound?

By the way, I won't be shocked it this isn't an original thought. It's original to me tho!

Thanks,

Keith
'02 Wide Glide (ole' Thumper).

Sounds like it should work. But if moisture is your concern and the floor in your shed is concrete then I would recommend either paint it with a water proof sealer or place a sheet of polly under your bike cover.

If you do a search, there was another topic just like this. I recommend one of the porcelain fixtures mounted to a piece of plywood 12''X12" for stability so it doesn't land against the cover and burn up your pride and joy.
With the cover holding out the rain, the bulb should keep air currents rising and somewhat dry.:D

I feel the ideal place for the bulb would be under the bike so the warm air currents rise up around the bike.

Have you seen the Harley Bubble?

It looks like a great idea as the whole bike is enclosed in a sealed bubble with a fan blowing filtered air through it. They are about $260, but seem like a good idea.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen or used them. I asked before and one person replied that it worked great. I think I am going to give one a try.

All sounds encouraging - I'll probably give it a try. I might have given the wrong impression - the cover would be in a weather-tight shed with lots of ventilation.

Yes, I've seen the Harley Bubble and it seems like a great idea. For people who store their bikes commercially, it only costs about the same as a seasons rental fee. I seen some reviews that are favorable - come to think of it I haven't seen anything negative about them at all.

Thanks all.

Keith

I used to get a lot of condensation on my bike in the winter in my garage here in mid coast Maine. So for winter storage I got a big piece of 6 mil poly, rolled the bike on it and wrapped it around it tightly, rolling and sealing all the edges. I also put silica gel inside the bag. I had no condensation or rust problems and it was inexpensive.

Yes and either get a battery tender, or better yet, remove the battery to the warmer indoors, with tender, add some seafoam or gas stablizer to the fuel, and maybe a fresh oil changeand wash/wax job/check tire pressures etc., before you tuck your "baby" in for the winter.

Have you seen the Harley Bubble?

It looks like a great idea as the whole bike is enclosed in a sealed bubble with a fan blowing filtered air through it. They are about $260, but seem like a good idea.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen or used them. I asked before and one person replied that it worked great. I think I am going to give one a try.

This isn't the bubble our brother Hobbit uses' is it???

Hobbit, I remember now it was you who said it worked well.

The thing I like about it is it looks easy to get your bike out if you are lucky enough to get one of those beautiful bike riding days.

I keep my bike in a barn also with a concrete floor. I was concerned about little creatures making a home somewhere on my bike and figured the bubble would help with that as well.

I'll be able to confirm how it works next spring, I just ordered one.

Ride Safe!

I also have thought of this also but my only concern is the confined space with a hot light bulb and gasoline fumes. This might not be a issue with a bike in top notch condition but I have an older carbutared bike and everytime I remove the sealed tarp in the spring I can always smell gas vapours.

I prefer to seal my bike up in a plastic tarp and 1/4 roll of duct tape.
Moisture/road salt cant get in or out.

Back