free website stats program Winter Seat Project | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter Seat Project

Randall K. Wilson

There has been some chatter on the forum about winter HD projects...especially for us folk who live where it snows and we have to revert to the cage for motoring.

I'm embarking on something I have never done. I like the seat on my '09 Deluxe, but am not crazy about it. In some respects it is probably one of the most ornate and detailed HD seats as for as present models goes. Non-the-less I desire to change mine.

So here is what I did. I removed the seat from the machine. Rmoved chrome grab ring. Pulled the staples out and skinned the cover back from the foam. Then I took a small sharp exacto knife and carefully started cutting the threaded seams. When I was finished I had a total of ten different pieces of material laying in a stack.

NOW I HAVE A PATTERN!

My next step is to trace the pattern onto the material that will be replacing the stock cover. Now the stock cover had vinyl, real leather, a rubber bonded to real leather made to look like "tooled" leather, and real leather lacing around the bottom skirting.

STOCK SEAT BELOW
softail-seat-stock.jpg

Here is my agenda...All new details for the seat will be real leather. I will used a Chromed process tanned black, imitation croccadile (on cowhide), and off white leather fringe. For accenting I'm making some custom pipping. The pipping will be made from a Marine vinyl which is tourquoise in color. In the spirit of nostalgia, I may add some chrome dots and a concho or two.

I really didn't want to "dismantle", the original cover but my mentor told me that was the best way to do this project. As the new details will be eactly the right size and it should fit on the foamed portion perfectly. When I was an apprentice years ago my Dad advised me that..."if you want to learn, do what you're told and keep your mouth shut..." His advice has never dimmed from my memory.

I will post more pics as this project comes to fruition.
rkw

This is a sneak peak of the croc portion. This material will cover some of the surfaces...but not all.
deluxe-seat-croc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried making my own seat once, looked like a pillow when i was done. i think yours will turn out much better..

Re: Winter Seat Project (help)

I'm making progress on my project. Does anyone on the forum know where I can buy some of these chrome stars...just the star only? They come on some seats from a catalog, so I have included this image from a catalog in my post as a reference to what I am referring to,...but I just want to buy only the stars.
Please respond.
Seat-Star.jpg

I found some similar to that one on the site where I bought my half chaps. I don't know if these are close enough to what you are looking for but here is the link
Conchos
here is another link I just found
Trigg Leather

I hpoe this helps,
The other Randall

The second link I just posted has some that look much like the picture you posted if you scroll done to the bottom of the page. Here is the link again.
Trigg Leather

Randall

I did the same thing for my 08 EGC. Had a stock seat left over from my 06 Road King. Cut it in half, took it to a saddle shop and now have a solo seat. I'm trying to decide what I want to do for the back of it though, as it is pretty plain and shows the mounting hardware..thought about getting a chrome "grab rail" like shown on your seat but can't seem to find one..anyway still working on it but here is a pix with it installed on my bike. it can be done and is fun.

Attachments

• Photo_120709_008.jpg
    Photo_120709_008.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo_121309_004.jpg
    Photo_121309_004.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Photo_121309_006.jpg
    Photo_121309_006.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 48
Back