free website stats program Winter riding? | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter riding?

mmancuso

I ride every day, and when I head out to work in the morning it's still dark and the temps here in Raleigh are starting to get into the 30's at night.

I've a 2011 Fatboy, 96 ci, and when I got to work this morning after a 15 mile highway ride in 39 degrees, the oil temp was 120!

Seems it can't be good for the bike if the engine never gets up to "normal" temps.

I'm a new rider, riding for 7 months, and it has always been my intent to ride all year. My warmth is covered, but I hate to stop riding just because of the temperature. Seems some way of blocking the wind, like some sort of cover on the engine guard, might help?

Any ideas?

More frequent oil changes may help noticing if there is any milky look to the oil which would be water/ moisture that didn't boil off. You could always have an oil sample analyzed by Blackstone labs to see if there is more than normal moisture content in the oil after your 15 mile ride.

Also give your oil temp dipstick a check for accuracy by boiling a pot of water and dipping the tip of the probe into it and see if it registers 212*

More frequent oil changes may help noticing if there is any milky look to the oil which would be water/ moisture that didn't boil off. You could always have an oil sample analyzed by Blackstone labs to see if there is more than normal moisture content in the oil after your 15 mile ride.

Also give your oil temp dipstick a check for accuracy by boiling a pot of water and dipping the tip of the probe into it and see if it registers 212*

Thanks for your suggestions.

Is the implication that as long as there is no moisture build up, or if there is and I change the oil frequently, that it's OK to ride with lower than normal oil temps? (I use Mobil 1 VTwin for all oils).

What about the idea of some wind deflection from the engine during cold weather riding?

Is the implication that as long as there is no moisture build up, or if there is and I change the oil frequently, that it's OK to ride with lower than normal oil temps? (I use Mobil 1 VTwin for all oils).

What about the idea of some wind deflection from the engine during cold weather riding?

I think you understood what I was saying.

As far as the wind deflection. unless you monitor it constantly, it would be a bit risky IMO.

As I said too, verify the accuracy of your gauge.

I think you understood what I was saying.

As far as the wind deflection. unless you monitor it constantly, it would be a bit risky IMO.

As I said too, verify the accuracy of your gauge.

It's the H-D digital oil cap/level/temp gauge. The first thing I did was verify it when purchased, given the price. :)

Thanks.

That unit doesn't have a long life expectancy and have been known to be off a bit as compared to the analog units.

Definitely verify your dipstick gauge & maybe invest in a set of soft lowers for your bike. Would be two-fold (weather/cold protection + air deflection).

If your temp guage is accurate, and you're doing a good warm up before riding off to minimize ring blowby, i would try experimenting by blocking some airflow. Recip engines on aircraft are air cooled and use cowl flaps for this purpose. Since you won't have a feedback control loop for adjusting airflow, monitor your gauge temperature and listen for pinging, but i really doubt you will get close to overheating with a simple air deflector in under 40 F temps. Alternatively, just change the oil more often.:)

(I use Mobil 1 VTwin for all oils).

If you're saying you use Mobile 1 in all three holes, may I suggest using function specific fluids instead?

Mobile 1 in the engine is a great choice (there are others), but use a 6-speed transmission fluid like Spectro, Amsoil, or Redline and a primary oil like Spectro, Amsoil, or Harley's Formula +. The cost would work out about the same as using Mobile 1 in all three but you would have the specifically designed lubrication in each.

:coffee

Back